1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How do you decide which ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by mitchb2, Mar 17, 2010.

1. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

I'm just starting my root-research.

My biggest question is: are the current 2.1 ROMs based on the Nexus 2.1 or the Droid 2.1?

And how do you decide which ROM is "best" ?
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

i personally like droidmod best because it does all the work for me. whatever you decide you need to do it fast lol
  3. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Why? Is the new update going to block rooting?
  4. toddegreene

toddegreene New Member

The most current ROMs are based on ese53 (the soon to be released Droid 2.1).

As to which ROMs are best, that's the fun of it, you can try them and decide for yourself. I've used Ultimate Droid, Simply Stunning, Bugless Beast, DroidMod (and SholesMod), Smoked Glass and I'm sure a couple I don't remember. As of this moment, Bugless Beast and Smoked Glass run the best on my system. I've had to change overclocking kernels because AdamZ's run hot on my system for some reason.

You decide which is best for you by comparing performance, stability and visual appeal on your personal device. Or in other words the one you and your Droid like the best.

Also, as you get more comfortable with modding, you can tweak ROMs yourself. Just make sure you have a good backup, it's all that stands between you and one of those "I BRICKED MY DROID!!!!" posts.
  5. toddegreene

toddegreene New Member

Won't know until it gets here.
  6. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

The beauty of rooting is that your free to try any of them and revert back to your previous one if you don't like it. Me personally before installing any other rom I make an advanced nandroid backup so that if I ever feel like using something different I can just restore it =)

Try as many as you want and have fun with it. Some roms will run better on your phone than others as well as kernels. Just find what works for you =)
  7. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Once you're rooted and have SPRecovery, it is really easy to try each ROM out. DroidMod, Ultimate Droid, BB, and Smoked Glass are probably the most popular. Out of those, DroidMod is the only one that is not based on the 2.1 update for the Droid.
  8. BlooS

BlooS New Member

It all depends on my mood. I switch roms on a daily basis. The most fun. Part of rooting for me is flashing roms and testing out new things. Just remember to always create a nandroid backup so you can go back to your previous settings quickly.
  9. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

You will never know which one you want, believe me. I switch all the time to see what is new and improved. All of these developers are great. Just remember to give a rom a fair shake. Sometimes you will install one via update.zip only to find it slow or jittery. If you like the looks and feel otherwise, I strongly recommend you do a nandroid install to wipe all the other crap off your system. You will be amazed at the response improvements nandroid can have vs update.zip
    Can be a little more work, but worth it many times.

I am currently running ultimate but may gives petes new version 9 a try soon.
  10. Slipstream

Slipstream New Member

I think what he's driving at (and I'm curious too) is... what exactly is the difference between one vs. the other? Why would someone choose BB over Cyanogen, or Cyanogen over DM? I gather that some "work better than others" depending on the phone, but why / how?

I think it would be fantastic if someone could do a comparison between all of the major ROMs to give the noobs an idea of where to start. I know in my case, all I really care about is overclocking for a tad more speed, and maybe the black notification bar / skinning abilities. I don't care about tethering, I don't care about tinkering with the functionality of the OS, and I want everything to work properly (I bought the smart phone to BE a smart phone, not a toy :)).
  11. mach330

mach330 New Member

To be honest, I've tried all the roms. from 2.01 to the latest ese 2.1 roms. i keep trying until i find what the most stable/fastest for me. it really depends on your phone. for me 2.01 roms behaved different than 2.1 roms (at least with the developer). i was using bb on 2.0.1 and was glitch free. going to 2.1 rom, i find chevy's best for my phone.
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

IMHO ROM's are like cars. You've got to do a test drive to see which one you like best. Now if you're like me I can test drive a car just once and decide I like it. Others have to try different models.

A chart of the differences really would be a chart of someone's opinion, and may not be actual fact. The main words I hear when people talk to me about their ROMS is how "smooth" they are and how "fast" they are. Also there is a lot of talk about looks. What looks great to one person may be an eye soar to another.
  13. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

When I initially put SholesMod on my phone using SM Updater. Everything went fine.
    When I put DM with DM Updater, I had to rework my homescreen (and again when I changed the clock on the notification bar to white), re-set up my Google account on the phone, set sync, set Facebook account and contact syncing, and change which calendars the phone pulls from Google Calendar.

So do you guys really do all that work daily every time you change a rom?

Also you say to do a wipe...
    What do you lose when you wipe? Contacts are on the server. So you lose text messages and all your apps?
  14. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

15. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

16. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

So DroidMod is not considered 2.1, right?
    I see apps that say "For phones running 2.1"
    This doesn't apply to DroidMod?
  17. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Well, a lot of people are fans of BB, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Pete updates frequently and for some reason people love to flash their phone as often as possible. I think a lot of people went with Sholes/DM in the beginning because of their app, it was available on the market and basically rooted your phone for you. All three and great, there's little features built into each that you often don't realize, such as SSH for DroidMod.

The thing is, you get similiar features with all the Roms.

Cyanogen, you get Launcher 2 (though I believe you can download this launcher from the market) built into the rom, online updates and a rom downloader. It's a 2.1 ERE25, the early build. It has some different features, like wired tethering and hints at support for Apps2sd soon. It has Live Wallpapers, but the regular home doesn't interact with them, though his Launcher2 replacement does. Also, it has a built in OC Kernel to 1GHZ.

DroidMod is based on 2.01, you get live wallpapers but the home screen doesn't interact with them. They have an updater on their home page that you can download and run on your phone to root, install SPrecovery, and update your phone. 5 Home screens, support for wifi tethering, and all the regular goodies are included.

Bugless is pretty much the standard as far as I can tell. Pete tends to listen to what people want and updates based on those. He uses the ESE25 build which is what Verizon is giving out for the official update. It's stable, and works well. Once again, all the usual goodies, he doesn't have his own OC Kernel but there's others available that will do the trick. He updates very frequently. Has live wallpapers with interaction from the regular home screen, the Kernels by Chevy or AdamZ support wireless tethering.

Personally, I ran DM for the longest time, but the auto-rotating of the home screen was an issue for me, so I checked out Bugless, ran it but all the OC kernels didn't seem to like my phone, ran fine until I applied an of the kernels then I would get random softboots. After that, I found Cyanogen, and I am staying here, I hate flashing my phone all the time, it's stable, doesn't crash and works.

There's a ton of others that I haven't tried, but that's what I have and what I see is that difference between all 3. I don't believe any include a theme, but I know Pete and Cyanogen have modified themes available and DroidMod uses Metamorph.

I recommend doing a backup of your system in it's current state then trying out a few different roms until you find something that's stable on your phone and has all the features you are looking for.
  18. korp

korp New Member

The best rom is the one that never force closes or very rarely. With the exception of that and the colors, most are pretty similar.

Bugless Beast has withstood the test of time still and I am running v0.8 ... 0.9 (2.1 rom) is going to be out soon.
  19. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Okay, I didn't realize that DroidMod was not a 2.1 ROM, but instead a 2.0.1 ROM with some 2.1 apps. I'd rather get the full 2.1 treatment.

Can I still use DroidMod's "one stop shop" to root the phone, and then simply choose a different ROM such as Bugless Beast?

Or do you think I should just wait for the official 2.1 to come out and let DroidMod do their thing to it?
  20. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Yeah, you can root and install sprecovery from within droid mods updater without having to install their ROM. I wouldn't wait for the official 2.1, you get more freedom and functionality with a rooted 2.1 rom.