How do you close programs?

se31rome

Reaction score
I recently upgrade to the note 2 from a thunderbolt. On the thunderbolt, you could hold the back button and fully close any app you were currently using. Is there a way to do this on the note 2 without pressing the back button repeatedly or going into the task manager?

Ps, I absolutely love this phone, and would suggest it to any who didn't mind the size!

Psykho

Reaction score
I recently upgrade to the note 2 from a thunderbolt. On the thunderbolt, you could hold the back button and fully close any app you were currently using. Is there a way to do this on the note 2 without pressing the back button repeatedly or going into the task manager?

Ps, I absolutely love this phone, and would suggest it to any who didn't mind the size!

I'm not sure about the note 2 because I have a Dna now but I had a T-Bolt for two years and wasn't aware of any hold back button option I always backed all the way out or hit menu/exit. Anyways I was curious so I just fired up my T-bolt and tried the holding back thing and it doesn't do anything were you stock or running some kind of launcher.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I don't think the OP meant hold the back button. You just keep pressing back until you are out of the app.

OP any reason you need to "kill" the app? I know the major concern is battery life but if you just hit the home button or back out to home the app will go off into the background. Android keeps the apps you use the most in the background anyway so they launch faster and it actually puts less strain on your battery rather than having to completely start the app again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
S

se31rome

Reaction score
I feel like it worked that way for as long as I can remember. I eventually started using cm7, and my launcher was go launcher. If I was in an app or in my browser, I could hold the back button and it would prompt the exit program command, and could fully close programs very quickly and simply. I just thought this was a standard feature on the thunderbolt lol. It's no big deal really, I was just curious if there was a more efficient way to fully close down programs, or if that was just due to the rom/launcher I was using.

Psykho

Reaction score
I feel like it worked that way for as long as I can remember. I eventually started using cm7, and my launcher was go launcher. If I was in an app or in my browser, I could hold the back button and it would prompt the exit program command, and could fully close programs very quickly and simply. I just thought this was a standard feature on the thunderbolt lol. It's no big deal really, I was just curious if there was a more efficient way to fully close down programs, or if that was just due to the rom/launcher I was using.

No problem. You just had me thinking I had been missing out on something.

rabernet

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note Edge
If you long press the home button - you can then swipe any open programs to the left or right to close them.

OP
S

se31rome

Reaction score
If you long press the home button - you can then swipe any open programs to the left or right to close them.

Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Actually, that's just a recently used apps list. It's not intended to work as a task manager. Some programs will completely close out if you swipe them away, but many won't. So, that's not a guaranteed way to close a program.

The guaranteed way is to long press the home button and then tap "Task manager" at the bottom left of the screen. From there, you can view and close active applications as well as clear out inactive and background processes.

And pressing the back button until the app closes out, as the OP mentioned, works for closing the app too.

Last edited: