How do you Build A ROM for the D2 ????

trook

Reaction score
Do they have some sort of ROM Kitchen for our phones? Where do you start to learn the art of Rom building? What programs are needed?, I've been to xda, android developers, motodev, and there are instructions and kitchens availible for all devices except the D2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Azurikai

Reaction score
i'd like more help with this too because i know java coding and there is obviously a lack of ROMS out there for this phone and i feel like all the developers for the D2 keep secrets with their roms so it almost seems closed source.

pkbest

Reaction score
i'd like more help with this too because i know java coding and there is obviously a lack of ROMS out there for this phone and i feel like all the developers for the D2 keep secrets with their roms so it almost seems closed source.

I hear you on that one. It's not a huge secret. If you can build from source, honestly you can do this. By what research I have gathered. Take the source from the google repositories, build everything from the tar files etc, and then package the appropriate apk's needed, plus any additional stuff you want to add. Test it, and then if it works great, if you brick your phone... hope you have sdk lol.

that's what i've gathered. yes, it does seem a bit closed source for a open source OS; however, i think it will change. Patience is a virtue. dancedroid

Azurikai

Reaction score
yeah but I've heard that the D2 has trouble with the AOSP google code.. So I was thinking that our developers for the D2 could put together a beginners platform that we could build off of.. Matt promised he'd release the 3.0 source when it was complete.. so hopefully he'll wrap that up soon.

ljbaumer

Reaction score
can't you just start the rom of of a stock droid 2 rom instead of stock android and then just edit it from there and then sign it?

mikeyinid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
can't you just start the rom of of a stock droid 2 rom instead of stock android and then just edit it from there and then sign it?

This is what ive been doing. Ive been messing with some DX roms, got the physical keyboard and swype working on them. The ONLY things that dont work is camera and video playback. I dont see why more DX roms havent been ported over. Granted, they are based off blur too, but what ive seen so far the DX roms are leaps and bounds ahead of the available D2 roms.

Azurikai

Reaction score

This is what ive been doing. Ive been messing with some DX roms, got the physical keyboard and swype working on them. The ONLY things that dont work is camera and video playback. I dont see why more DX roms havent been ported over. Granted, they are based off blur too, but what ive seen so far the DX roms are leaps and bounds ahead of the available D2 roms.

is there any form of SBF if you screw up your device in this fashion?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just came out a few days ago! Its around here somewhere...

DroidForums junkie!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Ooh man I wanted to build a rom also but don't know where to start

Sent from my DROID2

mikeyinid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Yea, a standard sbf, i.e. rsdlite. I personally flashed 3 different DX roms with no problems. And actually, id say they are at least 90% functional without doing anything to them. The physical keyboard works, til you use alt. or alt. lock, but I figured out the fix for that, which comes from a bone stock D2 rom. The camera and video playback are the only things i cant figure out. Im not that smart :icon_ banana: and i figured out the keyboard issue, so i know the DX devs can without a doubt port most if not if not all roms to the D2

Azurikai

Reaction score
Just came out a few days ago! Its around here somewhere...

DroidForums junkie!

could you help locate :D

SanJuan

Reaction score

Make sure stagefright isn't enabled, it might all work!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Azurikai

Reaction score
and also another question, do you think it'd be possible to build a DX rom from the Motorola Source that was provided? & SBF recover it in case you screwed up.

squidlymandingo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Before flashing the roms from the x delete all files pertaining to the camera including .lib files in the/ system/ lib of the zip stagefright will not matter if the drivers are there, you will see them named stagefright in the lib file, they should work after because it will not write over your existing, working camera files.

mikeyinid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Before flashing the roms from the x delete all files pertaining to the camera including .lib files in the/ system/ lib of the zip stagefright will not matter if the drivers are there, you will see them named stagefright in the lib file, they should work after because it will not write over your existing, working camera files.

Your the man Squid! Thats what ive been lookin for! Im no dev, but I love to mess around, and if I can get camera working on these DX roms, my D2 is gonna be SO much better. I thank you again, Im gonna give it a try now :)
*It has no camera at all :( But everything else works lol