How do you backup your phone?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by djwill13, Jan 22, 2011.

1. djwill13

djwill13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just recently rooted, and I've been kind of playing around with my phone (droid 1). I'm trying to make sure I do as much reading as I can BEFORE I do anything. I'm trying to figure out how to backup my phone before I install any custom roms or anything like that. I've read enough to know that is a good thing to do.

However, my problem is, just how do you backup your phone? All the youtube videos I see suggest something about droidboothelper, but when I go to the app market that app is no longer there. Is there now a different way to do this?

Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but I'm running FRG22D and 2.2 on Droid 1. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola XT1103 (Nexus 6)
    You need to install a custom recovery image. There's two of them about (well almost three) and a couple of ways to do it. The two main ones are SirPsychoS Recovery (SPRecovery) and the other is ClockworkMod Recovery (CWRecovery). There's another up-and-coming pair, but I'll leave it to these two for now. There's two ways to install them. One is a manual way; it is in my guides below called "Installing the SPRecovery Image manually":

Installing the SPRecovery Image Manually

Or you can go to the market and search for "Rom Manager" (free) and install that and then you can use either of the two.

I/we will let you digest that info and then wait for you to ask for more. . .

p.s. I know, I know, I didn't finish, but hey, one step at a time, I have seen too many get in a rush only to fail.

good luck

3. djwill13

djwill13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your response. I was able to download Clockworkmod, but not SPRecovery (wasn't in the app store). With that, I was able to backup my current rom (stock). There was also a "Download ROM" selcetion. I selected that, but everytime I try to download a ROM, it doesn't complete. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, unfortunately I can't open your link for some reason.

#3 djwill13, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    Where you say you were able to download ClockworkMod I can hopefully assume you meant that you were able to find and download Rom Manager (free) in the market and then used it to install the CWRecovery image. You will not find the SPRecovery in the market. The stuff we (hardcore) rooters and hackers use to do stuff to our phones are not usually found in the market. If you so choose to use SPRecovery, there is an option to flash "alternate recovery" in rom manager that will put SPRecovery on your phone. But it will make all of the options within rom manager useless.

It sounds as though you were able to make a backup of your current rom. As far as my link, all of my stuff is way out in the back of beyond on a computer that's here at my house on my "podunk" DSL connection. That said, it can be iffy sometimes.

As far as using the "Download ROM" option within Rom Manager, first make sure you do so while you have your phone connected via a WiFi connection. But really, second, I would go ahead and do ALOT of research on the custom rom you want to use first. I made a gr8 post over at androidforums.com about this, but . . . . .

more good luck

#4 teddyearp, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  5. djwill13

djwill13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for taking the time out to respond, and sorry for sounding like such a noob. I think I'm figuring it out thought. You're correct in your assumption; I found ROM Manager in the app market, and I was able to backup my phone.

The problem I was having with downloading a ROM was that I wasn't paying attention to the particular type of ROM. I'm running 2.2 on FRG22D (I'm assuming that is Froyo based on what I've read), and I was trying to download a ROM that was incompatable.

I'll do some more reasearch on ROM's though. Thank you for your time, and your advice. Is there a particular ROM you prefer out of curiousity?

After doing some research, I think I'm going to go with Bugless beast. I like a lot of the features in it. Now, if I can just figure out how to download it and install in lol.

#5 djwill13, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  6. djwill13

djwill13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so everytime I try to download Bugless Beast from Rom Manager, I get an error. I've tried all the ones there (and yes, I'm using Wifi). It'll get about 60% of the way done and give me an error. Could this possibly be because of FRG22D runnin 2.2? Here's what I do:

I open up Rom Manager > Download Rom > (free ones listed first) Bugless Beast.

I'm only given one option for this Rom and that's for FRG83D for AOSP Android 2.2.1 (not really sure what that means).

Is there a way to downoad a version of this compatible with 2.2 directly to the SD card and install it using Rom Manager "install from SD card"?

#6 djwill13, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  7. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    86 ROM Manager for dl'ds! Dl'd directly from DroidForums and use either Clockworkmod or SPRecovery to install. I also don't trust RM for backups...MUCH better in recovery dancedroid

DroidForums Junkie!!

8. djwill13

djwill13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to sound like a total noob and please forgive me for being one, but just how exactly do I do that?

9. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    What you need to do is download the rom of your choice to your computer (from one of the threads here or elsewhere), then transfer it to your sdcard on your phone. Then what I do is using rom manager, I will select "backup current rom" so that I can give it my own name. Then you can either boot into recovery or use rom manager to "install rom from sdcard" and search for where you put the rom of your choice.

On another note, the way I choose a rom is by reading through each rom thread carefully. Then I take a few cups of knowledge from how many problems that people have with the rom(s) and set that aside in a very large bowl, paying special attention to the problems that go unsolved and/or keep reoccuring. Then I will take a few cups of looking at the problems that folks have in the rescue squad making careful note of what rom they're running and slowly add that to the bowl. From there, I must add a pinch of salt and blend thoroughly. Then I take and roll it out knead it together and then put it into the oven to bake. I usually throw out immediately the first few to burn and then look at the rest. For me Bugless isn't in that first group, but right behind it.

good luck

10. NetNathan

NetNathan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    By the way...
    You said you installed "ROM Manager".....but.... have you selected "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" from inside "ROM Manager" yet? You willl also want to turn on "Advanced Mode" from "ROM Manger" settings.

If these 2 things are not done, mainly flashing ClockMod Recovery, I believe this will keep you from being able to load ROMs.

#10 NetNathan, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  11. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    It is obvious to me that djwill13 did flash CWRecovery, re-read the parts in bold. A backup couldn't have been done without CWRecovery.

However the part of your post I underlined is a good call and never hurts to have that one set.

12. segdoh49

segdoh49 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    #12 segdoh49, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011