How do yall bypass the 2 yr contract?

medwa

Reaction score
I'd really like to get the nexus s if it becomes available on Verizon, but I still have over a year left on my current contract. Anything I can do?

Posted from my Droid Incredible

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They won't tell you at Verizon, but if your base plan (no counting additional text plan or data) is $49.99 or higher, you're eligible for an upgrade every 12 months...

others just pay full retail... but we're not all that fortunate to be able to afford that.

aDroidman

Reaction score
Does this also work for family plans?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
M

medwa

Reaction score
What about trading or selling? How difficult is it getting all of your information switched around?

blackngray70

Reaction score
Call Customer Support and see what they can do for you.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

loki993

Reaction score
Shouldnt be hard, I dont know about you, but Im a year out still and theyre constantly badgering me to upgrade early. Seems everytime a new phone comes out I get something in the mail. Only reason I have was becasue there wasnt anything I wanted and I didnt have the money. Im waiting for an LTE phone.

Did you get anything when the X or the Fascinate dropped?

If that doesnt work you could pay full retail, if you want it bad enough, and sell your old phone for what you can get out of it.

OP
M

medwa

Reaction score
Shouldnt be hard, I dont know about you, but Im a year out still and theyre constantly badgering me to upgrade early. Seems everytime a new phone comes out I get something in the mail. Only reason I have was becasue there wasnt anything I wanted and I didnt have the money. Im waiting for an LTE phone.

If that doesnt work you could pay full retail, if you want it bad enough, and sell your old phone for what you can get out of it.

Hmm, I've never heard of upgrading early. How does that work?

I got the Inc when it was released. I really wanted the Nexus One, but we all know how that story ends lol.

Droid Junky

Reaction score

Hmm, I've never heard of upgrading early. How does that work?

I got the Inc when it was released. I really wanted the Nexus One, but we all know how that story ends lol.

It works, i just done it, i'm on a family plan and like stated above the primary line was available for the ANNUAL 12 month upgrade.. Of course i called Verizon 3 times until i got a hold of a rep that would push it through..

But i had to, i got my upgrade 1 month earlier than my annual so basically i got my upgrade in 11 months instead of 12, then i did a ESN swap and "POOF" i'm a happy droid x owner..

Sal R.

Reaction score
I buy used off CL. I don't spend more than 300. About what u spend after tax, give or take.

Its easy to spot fakes.

Saves my upgrade for a real worthwhile unit, like the D1 last year.

OP
M

medwa

Reaction score
I buy used off CL. I don't spend more than 300. About what u spend after tax, give or take.

Its easy to spot fakes.

Saves my upgrade for a real worthwhile unit, like the D1 last year.

How do you go about getting your service moved over to the new device? Does your number change? Are there any fees involved?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup, primary eligable in 12, my wife's is the primary, which had me excited when she asked if I wanted to upgrade.

But, I love my D1, roote dand running sapphire, and as I stated in the D1 thread, will keep going strong thru next year. I'll only upgrade when it really becomes a matter of upgrading to newer hardware.

That hardware must be worthy for me to use that upgrade, and so far nothing coming for the next 6-7 months will give me that bang for using it, period, even the dual core's on the way .... I figure fall 2011 or spring 2012 will be right for something gamechanging where I'll jump, could be wrong, but the D1 is hard to replace in many ways :)

icemang

Reaction score

Its easy to spot fakes.

Personally I prefer eBay. Three times now I've done searches and scored nice phones for cheap. In the search criteria I put that it has to be from a "top-rated seller" and it has to be available for "buy it now".

This severely limits your choices but you're almost guaranteed to get a good phone, the seller doen't want to screw up his ratings and you pay by PayPal and they'll take the money back from the seller for you if there's a problem.

Last time I couldn't find one in my price range from a top-rated seller so I looked for people with a lot of transactions and high ratings. I ended up with a brand-new Droid2 and the seller even picked up the shipping. Very smooth, safe transaction.