How do u root ur phone and what are the benefits and risks from it?

r314bd

Reaction score
There are a few different ways to do it. The easiest way is to download/install the "z4root" app on your phone and run the "permanent root" option (you can download it here)

Rooting allows you to access and edit system files that wouldn't normally be accessible. This allows you to run certain apps and make many customizations that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do, such as wireless tethering, overclocking, custom ROMs, and blocking ads.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Use the search button up top man there are about 1000 threads with this same question. Look in my sig. below and there is a great thread on exactly what your asking. And welcome to the forum and a soon to be rooted D2 LOL

OP
J

JmCleve

Reaction score
Umm one last question or two.. has there been a lot of ppl tht have done damage too their phone by rooting.. is tha risk that big of possibly destroying my phone.. Do i have too keep up wit my phone status soo much more too make sure that it doesn't get hot, melt down, and or destroy itselft.. and do i have too keep my phone charged above 60%

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
70% for flashing (installing) is recommended. Z4root has yet to mess up anything, its what's done incorrectly AFTER root that turns phones into paperweights. Never guess at something you're unsure of! Have a question? Ask! Someone is always available to help out :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

r314bd

Reaction score
has there been a lot of ppl tht have done damage too their phone by rooting
No. It is virtually (if not completely) impossible to permanently brick your phone by rooting.
is tha risk that big of possibly destroying my phone..
No
Do i have too keep up wit my phone status soo much more too make sure that it doesn't get hot, melt down, and or destroy itselft..
No
do i have too keep my phone charged above 60%
The only time this is important is if you want to flash an .sbf file or ROM to your phone. In this case you'll want the device to be charged before the flash.

OP
J

JmCleve

Reaction score
So its worth it??

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I couldn't go back to unrooted :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
J

JmCleve

Reaction score
Well.. then my nxt question is.. can u wlk me thru it step by step on how too do it

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Absolutely!!

Well.. then my nxt question is.. can u wlk me thru it step by step on how too do it

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
J

JmCleve

Reaction score
Ok how do i get started

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Go to Settings > Applications and check the Unknown Sources box. Go to Development and enable USB Debugging. Dl'd z4root from the above post. When its dl'ded, drag down your notification bar and select it to install. Then open it and run Permanent Root and let it do its thing.

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
J

JmCleve

Reaction score
Shuld i back up n e files or charge my fone while i do this..

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Have to be rooted to make a backup. Charge won't matter for rooting though. The worst that can happen with z4 is that it won't root your phone.

Shuld i back up n e files or charge my fone while i do this..

DroidForums Junkie!!