How do I update to 4.0.4 when rooted?

whopua

Reaction score
I'm unlocked with stock root but can't seem to find a thread laying out how to flash the update when rooted. Only reference I can find says to it's more difficult doing it when rooted vs locked without root.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I'm unlocked with stock root but can't seem to find a thread laying out how to flash the update when rooted. Only reference I can find says to it's more difficult doing it when rooted vs locked without root.

My GN is unlocked, clockworkmod recovery installed, rooted, and the 4.0.4 update worked without doing anything special at all.

After installing it, I needed to re-flash CWM and re-root, but those are both plenty easy to do.

My recommendation, though:
1). Make a backup using nandroid (CWM)
2). Copy the backup to your PC (I don't trust myself to not accidentally wipe the "internal SD card")
3). Go nuts!

Rooting is never the issue with installing this type of update - it's always what you DO with root that causes problems. If you modify system files or delete system apps, it no longer matches what the update is expecting to find - so it aborts (to prevent you from applying an update over the wrong version or wrong device). Extra files in /system are no problem - modified or deleted files ARE a problem.