How do I unroot? Gotta send this hunk o junk back

steveyos

Reaction score
Please tell me it's simple for I am just leaning towards the "smash with hammer, cancel contract" method.

OP
S

steveyos

Reaction score
Please tell me it's simple for I am just leaning towards the "smash with hammer, cancel contract" method.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/84499-unroot-droid-2-a.html#post864846

It's not a hunk of junk. It's hard to say what the issue is since you rooted it, but I went from a rooted D1 to stock D2 and it works great.

Thanks.

I had to take the battery out for at least the 10th time today because it wouldn't let me unlock the phone. Maybe after I unroot it'll somehow end up working fine, perhaps the rom that came installed was somehow messed up, who knows? But if not, I really hope I can get a droid1 so I can get back to lithium. I'm letting RSD Lite do its thing right now, hasn't crashed yet but I'm not getting my hopes up.

UPDATE: Well it hasn't melted yet and I got past the RSD Lite parts. I'm doing a factory reset now and I'll see what happens. Thanks again, that was surprisingly stress free and now if I'm still freezing at least I can get it replaced

bcs296

Reaction score
I bought a D2 and am currently using my D1 while my D2 sits on my desk.

My girlfriend has a HTC Desire (very similar to a Nexus One) and every time I use it, I realize how much better it runs than my D2. I figured this was due to two things: the Snapdragon processor and/or the lack of MotoBlur (which is horrible IMO compared to HTC Sense) and VZW bloatware.

I rooted the D2 and tried both Tranquility and Epic roms (the only two roms for the D2). Both were an improvement performance wise, but unfortunately were buggy and crashed on a regular basis, not to mention neither one fully removed MotoBlur. I find that stock Android does everything a phone should/could do better than MotoBlur without all the BS running in the background slowing the phone down. I would overclock the phone but Motorola kaboshed that with the lovely eFuse that bricks the phone if the bootloader/kernel are modified/changed.

At this point I'm back to using my D1 which, running CyanogenMod and overclocked to 1100mhz, runs 10x better than my D2 in pretty much every way. Forum member slayher is currently working to get plain AOSP running on the D2 and when it's finished, I plan to give my D2 another chance because I could use the extra RAM and the keyboard is worlds better.

I bought Motorola Droids because I like the physical keyboards but I have been making it a point to practice/get used to the virtual keyboard so that when it comes time for me to upgrade again, I can ditch Motorola altogether and get an HTC phone. If there was an HTC Evo clone on Verizon when I bought my D2, I would have bought it instead. Snapdragon processor and no eFuse? Done deal.

OP
S

steveyos

Reaction score
Oh wait so I can't use setCPU? Or I just can't ever get a custom kernal to overclock?

Agggghhhh what the hell is this thing? This ain't a droid! I hope they give me a D1 because I never asked for the D2.

bcs296

Reaction score
Oh wait so I can't use setCPU? Or I just can't ever get a custom kernal to overclock?

Agggghhhh what the hell is this thing? This ain't a droid! I hope they give me a D1 because I never asked for the D2.

LOL, that's what I said when I realized what I had purchased. In hindsight, I probably should have taken advantage of the 30 day return period but if I was going to get a phone without a keyboard, I wanted it to have a 4.3" screen and NOT be made by Motorola. I'm hoping that slayher will be able to get AOSP up and running 100% on the D2 and then I should be able to get by with that until an Evo-ish phone comes to VZW.

I believe you can use SetCPU to underclock/create and use profiles for power saving and what not, but no custom kernels/overclocking.

OP
S

steveyos

Reaction score
Why would they do such great things with the droid1 and then make the droid2 the worst thing ever on earth (not counting apple products)?

WHY

I don't like where this one's going, I'm gonna do what I can to get a d1 again.

bcs296

Reaction score
Many will argue (and rightfully so) that the everyday consumer doesn't know the difference, but I love the ability to do pretty much whatever I want to my D1 (and essentially any other Android phone without eFuse).

OP
S

steveyos

Reaction score
I definitely know the difference between a lithium pink-life with a chevy engine with the pedal to the metal vs stock speed stock rom, and I don't like stock one bit! AGH

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted the D2 and tried both Tranquility and Epic roms (the only two roms for the D2). Both were an improvement performance wise, but unfortunately were buggy and crashed on a regular basis, not to mention neither one fully removed MotoBlur. I find that stock Android does everything a phone should/could do better than MotoBlur without all the BS running in the background slowing the phone down. I would overclock the phone but Motorola kaboshed that with the lovely eFuse that bricks the phone if the bootloader/kernel are modified/changed.

Other ROM options:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...star-wars-removed-many-setups-update-2-a.html