How do I theme the market app?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by kevdog, Jun 27, 2010.

1. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really confused.

I tried thememing Vending.apk 2 different ways

#1 - Using metamorph
    #2 - Creating and update.zip file

In both cases the changes made in drawable-hdpi took (meaning I pulled the app back off the phone, and reopened it within winzip and confirmed the new png files were present).

In case #2 -- within /system/app the timestamp of the vending.apk file shows it to be installed today.

However -- I dont see any changes made -- either in the widget or icon located within the launcher (ADW), or within the application itself. Is there some secret image cache I don't know about???? Ive tried rebooting twice and nothing seems to change -- or am I just screwing this up?

2. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok after some further reading Ive got this figured out and I'll post an explanation for anybody else:

First you need to uninstall any market updates: This is done by going into Settings->Applications->Manage Applications (Choose Filter at bottom of screen as an option and select All)->Market->Uninstall Market Updates

Rationale: Market Updates are installed onto the /data/app partition. These updates are signed (meaning a hash is kept of the package contents upon installation. Any modification of these files changes the hash code. So unless you want to edit the hash code manually located within /data/system/packages.xml its probably best not to directly edit apps located within the /data partition). Uninstalling the Market Updates uninstalls any market update package located on the /data partition

Next want you want to edit is the original market application, known as vending.apk, located at /system/app/vending.apk. No hashes are kept of these installations (or any applications kept on the /system partition as I know), so its free to modify. This app can be modified using either Metamorph or via Installation of an Update.zip file (I use ROM manager for installation of the update.zip, and sign my update package using stericson's apk signing tool).

I hope I may have clarified something up for anyone else with questions regarding this. If not - sorry to waste your time.

Note:
    If after theming the original vending.apk, and you are noticing your theme to be disappearing after a while here is what I suggest. Most likely what is happening, is that the market is redownloading the update and installing this back on the /data partition: Please note original vending app is at /system/app/Vending.apk whereas the update is at /data/app/com.android.vending.apk. What you need to do in this case is move /data/app/com.android.vending.apk to /system/app/Vending.apk, and then retheme your Vending.apk either using Metamorph (which is quite handy when this occurs), or by using the update.zip method.

Please note that this method is applicable to all you Pandora themers out there where the pandora app must be moved from the /data to /system partition and then is able to be themed freely.

Search tags for this page
how to theme /data/app apks

how to theme market apps

system app update market