How do i take screen shot?

starchild_dreams

Reaction score
Not a big deal, just trying to find out LOL I am new to "smart phones" and have Samsung Exhilarate. in the ABOUT (settlings) is says it is version 4.0.4. I've been looking this up (screen capture) and asking, and from what I can find this version is ice cream sandwich (which has screen shot/capture) and the way to do this is hold the vol DOWN and power at the same time? I have tried this many other ways, too, others have told me, includikng other kind of phones, like the Focus you can do it by wiping your palm across the screen. All mine does when I do it is turn the VOL way down and turn the phone off. I realize the tiiming might be important in this, I have seen YouTube videos showing it, but I still can't get it to work.
I got the phone from AT&T as an upgrade (from my old flip phone) and was told it was upgraded and current at the time (about 2 months ago).
I don't want to get into anything too complicated, just like to know how to do it, just to know.
And maybe why it doesn't work? I'm sure I have more questions too, but taking them as I think of them.I found this forum through googlng the question, but it same up about something else, so no answer that I can find.
Thanks!

6packAPPS

Reaction score
hmm

Samsung phones hmm. Aint too familiar with them old Sammy models I got a GS2 and you basically press the power button and home key at the SAME TIME. You should see like a frame come thru (you'll know when you see it). It should be in a screenshot folder in your album.

wcjeep

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the exhilarate. It's a timing issue. It looks like your phone has the four buttons along the bottom? It's likely the volume down/power button.

danclarete

Reaction score
I haven't tried Samsung Exhilarate so I don't know exactly why you can find the screen shot button there. But of course, it always been different to some phones and that is given already. Probably yours has so many buttons but it is unlikely that you cannot find which to use on. Anyone here who can help?

OP
S

starchild_dreams

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the exhilarate. It's a timing issue. It looks like your phone has the four buttons along the bottom? It's likely the volume down/power button.

This is what I've found and been trying. All it does it turn the volume way down (then it vibrates) and turn the phone off.

OP
S

starchild_dreams

Reaction score
I've tried this, too. this is how it was for older models. I knew nothing about this till I got this phone (Att gave me as an upgrade) the version before mine called "gingerbread" used the POWER and HOME buttons together. this one accordikng to the version number is "ice cream sandwich". the newer ones (software) are Jelly bean. I think this is kind of silly naming them things like that LOL My daughter has a focus 2 which I think is a Windows phone (not Android) and wipes her palm across the screen and it captures it. It isn't a big deal really, I just got into wanting to know how to do it just to know. Another one is how to save pictures that someone sends me in texts, but I got an app (SAVE MMS) that does this. Maybe the screen capture needs an app, too. the phone I had before was a flip phone, Samsung Rugby 2 I had for 3 years, and worked fine (I think if I dropped it, it bounced LOL) though it wasn't so easy to use for texting, seeing pictures, etc.

D

dappwl

On my HTC I can do screenshots by pushing the power button first then (still pushing it) pressing the home button.

OP
S

starchild_dreams

Reaction score
You can capture screenshots by pressing and holding the Home home key and the Power/Lock key simultaneously to take a screen capture of the image on the screen.
How do I take Screenshots on my Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate?? : AT&T Cell Phones | Samsung

I've read this and tried it many times.Also, my Android (going by the version number) is supposedly an ice cream sandwhich and the way to screenshot is power/volume down. the Power/home is for the gingerbread which is the previous model.
I just tried it again, after reading this (power and home) and it worked!
I don't know how or why and apparently my phone which says 4.0.4) is a ginverbread (which is fine with me, I've never had one before and didn't know anything about them) I just tried it again and the task manager comes up. It must be something in the timing. I had tried this many times before, trying to time it just so, like exactly together, or a little apart, and it only worked once (when I tried it after writing this) Sometimes the menu to shut it off comes up. when I take the pictures off my phone I see a folder that says 'screen capture' (empty) so know there's a way LOL
Thanks for taking the tme to answer and now I know which way to keep trying to to it.

OP
S

starchild_dreams

Reaction score
I wanted to add this, in case anyone else is searching for the answer.... Since it worked once (with the home and power) I kept trying it, finally TOOK OFF THE CASE (which is rubberized) and it worked. Maybe that was the problem all along? I have searched and watched tutorials, and people have said 'go through your settings and see if something isn't activated" (though I'd assume the tutuorals would say that). And going by my version numer, I have Ice Cream Sandwhich (it was supposedly upgraded to the newest version before I got it from AT&T in May 2013. I'd had a regular flip phone for 3 years and they gave me this as an upgrade) nothing ever said "take off the darn case". Maybe the phones they were using in the tutorial didn't have them on.
Just wanted to pass this on. It still doesn't work each time I do it (it shows task manager or the menu to shut down) but now it is working if I keep at it. I think the timing has to be precise, too. I like to know things just to know, and knew there must be a way to do this. Thanks everyone!

binodkarki

Reaction score
I've read this and tried it many times.Also, my Android (going by the version number) is supposedly an ice cream sandwhich and the way to screenshot is power/volume down. the Power/home is for the gingerbread which is the previous model.
I just tried it again, after reading this (power and home) and it worked!
I don't know how or why and apparently my phone which says 4.0.4) is a ginverbread (which is fine with me, I've never had one before and didn't know anything about them) I just tried it again and the task manager comes up. It must be something in the timing. I had tried this many times before, trying to time it just so, like exactly together, or a little apart, and it only worked once (when I tried it after writing this) Sometimes the menu to shut it off comes up. when I take the pictures off my phone I see a folder that says 'screen capture' (empty) so know there's a way LOL
Thanks for taking the tme to answer and now I know which way to keep trying to to it.

Yes, its definitely the timing, the home key and the power key should be pressed at the same time together for about 2 seconds,,,, u will get the screen shot.

Last edited:

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
I think you can hold the power button and home, or power button and volume down.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It's not so much ”timing" as it is synchronization and order of execution. Pressing both rapidly and simultaneously is the key. Press the power button too soon and you'll bring up the power off screen. Press the volume button too soon and you'll turn down the volume instead. The order and synchronization are a learned response. You'll get the hang of it and eventually it will work nearly 100% of the time. Try putting more emphasis on the volume button as the primary button to target, and let the power button be close behind.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk