How do I take D2 back to stock?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I rooted when having the original 2.2. I couldn't update due to being rooted, so I used the full SBF over on MDW.

Is there anyway to SBF back to 2.2, and it not backup anything, like I've just taken it out of the box?

gunz.jones

Reaction score
SBF and then do a reset though privacy. Don't login to google or it will back up yout apps to the phone automatically...but that can be uninstalled with no harm.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
SBF and then do a reset though privacy. Don't login to google or it will back up yout apps to the phone automatically...but that can be uninstalled with no harm.

When I SBF and wipe data, the Superuser Permissions is still there. I forgot to mention that I am still currently rooted after the 2.3.20 SBF.

Last edited:

gunz.jones

Reaction score
It shouldn't retain root if you sbf through rsdlite....removes superuser access...and when you wipe through privacy, it resets all data on the phone...not just user and app data which is why the phone has to be reactivated. I have done this twice in the last 24 hours because of some random issue that caused boot looping. Had to reroot both times after sbf. If it's retaining the superuser app, that doesn't mean it is used. It's just a whitelist.

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It shouldn't retain root if you sbf through rsdlite....removes superuser access...and when you wipe through privacy, it resets all data on the phone...not just user and app data which is why the phone has to be reactivated. I have done this twice in the last 24 hours because of some random issue that caused boot looping. Had to reroot both times after sbf. If it's retaining the superuser app, that doesn't mean it is used. It's just a whitelist.

No, I mean the Superuser Permissions(the ninja icon) is showing up in the "App Drawer," even after SBF and data wipe.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Delete it. It's just an app.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
No. I get it. It is still an app that can be uninstalled. If he hasn't used it to verify, which he hasn't stated, he doesn't know. SU is an app. It is available in the market and could be backed up. It can be downloaded by anyone, but obviously only used from root. He can use z4root to unroot if needed, but the presence of SU means nothing.

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So, I can flash back to 2.2 without a problem?

gunz.jones

Reaction score
No. You cannot go back from 2.3.20 to 2.2. The bootloader will not allow to go back. Trying to do so will brick it. You will only be able to go back to stock at the 2.3 level.

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So, the process to get back to stock is:

1. Remove SU.apk
2. Unroot
3. Data wipe
4. SBF 2.3.20
5. Data wipe

Done.

Correct?

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Use sbf, then reset to remove all the apps. When you boot back up, su should be gone. If you add your google account back on, you'll end up with all amrket apps you had.

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's exactly my point. SBF does NOT remove SU.apk. When I flashed 2.3.20, it didn't.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
That's why I said sbf, then reset to remove all apps. Only need to wipe once. When it boots back up from the wipe, you'll reactivate the phone and all aps will be gone.

Canadroid

Reaction score
That's exactly my point. SBF does NOT remove SU.apk. When I flashed 2.3.20, it didn't.

Hmm, try re-rooting and using terminal to undo it, then FDR? If I recall I had no SU icon showing in apps just prior to downloading the OTA.

Eousphoros said:
* EDIT: Undoing the damage, if you decide to unroot.

- open your trusty terminal app
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
* rm /system/bin/busybox

- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Toda, no more root
Last edited by Eousphoros; 09-12-2010 at 08:18 PM.