How do I stop the quick-text message pop up?

ajdroid123

Reaction score
I installed sms pop up and then disabled it and then uninstalled it just to see if that would of work. This has been very frustrating because I actually know what I'm doing with this and it's not working

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Maybe its in the custom user agent settings. Is it set to android? If not maybe try changing the profile. Popup may be default for the profile ur using?

Just a shot in the dark....

Yup...Tapatalk'd

OP
Supertom

Supertom

Reaction score
In the notification settings on Handcent, there is a place to disable the pop up. I did this too.

JonHoneycutt

Reaction score
I am having the same exact problem. I even went through all the same steps. I can't find anything to change the settings on the popups for the stock program.

I downloaded Handcent in hopes that it would take over and stop letting the stock app popup. No success.

I then downloaded SMS popup hoping that it would take over and no success.

I then restored the phone to factory condition and started over. At first there were no popups, then once my phone was finished downloading all the system updates, they were back again.

I have since deleted all messaging programs off my phone and ONLY have the stock program. It is still giving me Popups for every single text.

I don't want a popup, period. I just want the notification bar, and a noise. That's it.

SOMEONE HELP!!!

-Jon

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the stock mssging app in the droid X. I want to use handcent but cannot turn the popup off on the stock app. I've gone into settings and turned off notifications...uninstalled/reinstalled handcent (just ot try) and even installed "sms popup" and turned off the notifications to see if that works. Every text mssg I get, both the handcent and the stock text mssg popup comes up. Again, I'd like to use handcent but cannot get rid of the duplicate popups without turning off handcent and only using the stock popup.

Is this an issue with anyone else? Is my phone jacked???

Please help!

You uninstalled handcent and were still getting notified by handcent.....doesn't sound likely

carlsjr

Reaction score
I am having the same exact problem. I even went through all the same steps. I can't find anything to change the settings on the popups for the stock program.

I downloaded Handcent in hopes that it would take over and stop letting the stock app popup. No success.

I then restored the phone to factory condition and started over. At first there were no popups, then once my phone was finished downloading all the system updates, they were back again.

I have since deleted all messaging programs off my phone and ONLY have the stock program. It is still giving me Popups for every single text.

I don't want a popup, period. I just want the notification bar, and a noise. That's it.

SOMEONE HELP!!!

-Jon

Bump

this is exactly my issue as well. anybody have any ideas?

JonHoneycutt

Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store, and I found out that one of the programs that I was using for ringtones, had a recent update that made the pop-ups appear. I reset to factory condition, turned off the autosync option, and reloaded each program one by one. Found the bad one, and got rid of it.

According to Verizon's tech manager, there is no such function on the actual phone nor through updates that will make that happen, so it HAS to be an outside program. You just gotta find which one. The one doing it to me, wasn't even a messaging app. Just a notifications app.

Hope this helps.

carlsjr

Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store, and I found out that one of the programs that I was using for ringtones, had a recent update that made the pop-ups appear. I reset to factory condition, turned off the autosync option, and reloaded each program one by one. Found the bad one, and got rid of it.

According to Verizon's tech manager, there is no such function on the actual phone nor through updates that will make that happen, so it HAS to be an outside program. You just gotta find which one. The one doing it to me, wasn't even a messaging app. Just a notifications app.

Hope this helps.

the thing is my phone is brand new, the only apps i have installed is handcent and Good Technologies.

dboy225

Reaction score

SOMEONE HELP!!!

-Jon

dancedroid thank God I've found someone who shares my problem...I'm having the exact same issue except I haven't uninstalled Handcent..yet. I believe it started after the Froyo update and no amount of settings tweaking will end the popups...I really hate them :icon_evil: lol. What do i have to do if it is something to do with the update? or am i forced with the decision of uninstalling my most used app

BodyBagz

Reaction score

SOMEONE HELP!!!

-Jon

dancedroid thank God I've found someone who shares my problem...I'm having the exact same issue except I haven't uninstalled Handcent..yet. I believe it started after the Froyo update and no amount of settings tweaking will end the popups...I really hate them :icon_evil: lol. What do i have to do if it is something to do with the update? or am i forced with the decision of uninstalling my most used app

Follow along...

Open Handcent--->Hard Menu button on phone(4 squares)--->Settings--->Notification Settings--->1st option "Enable Pop-up"--->Uncheck this if it is Green Checked. Use the "Hard Back Button" on the phone to exit Handcent completely.

Now, reboot the phone to make sure everything loads fresh and then have someone send you a test text message to see if the pop=up still happens...it shouldnt.

dboy225

Reaction score
yup...i've had the Popups box unchecked (disabled) for a loooong time and still get popups for every message! Dont know what else to do besides get rid of Handcent :(

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Temporarily remove it and see if you're still getting popups. I'd suspect that you have another app causing this.

dboy225

Reaction score
Temporarily remove it and see if you're still getting popups. I'd suspect that you have another app causing this.

Yeh u were right..still pops up a quick reply window everytime after uninstalling Handcent...window has an "i" in a circle in the left hand corner, along with a bluelink of the senders # and the options to Close or Reply. I guess its technically not the Handcent Popup feature but it always pops up lol arrrgh. How do I figure out how to get rid of this or what apps causing it? Thanks