how do i save a picture from text message

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
"Copy attached to SD" is what you should see by clicking on the picture. I just tried it in the default messenger.

That's the problem. I don't see anything. I could hold down on the photo for ages and ages, and nothing pops up.

Once I finally let go of the long press on the thumbnail, or if I just do a quick press on the thumbnail, the photo opens. That's it. I can't find a way to get any menu that allows me to save or copy or e-mail. Only "set as..."

There's an app in the Market called "Save MMS"... this should resolve your problem... even if you're unable to get the 'save' option using the long hold.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's an app in the Market called "Save MMS"... this should resolve your problem... even if you're unable to get the 'save' option using the long hold.

I highly recommend "Handcent" it does that and so much more.....

I use Handcent. I downloaded the "Save MMS" because there was an MMS i received that for whatever reason I couldn't get Handcent to open and save... so I downloaded "Save MMS" for that instance and I've just left it as a precautionary app :)

edit: after posting this I went back to read up on Save MMS... even the dev says it's not needed.... but people still use it... however I won't be one.. uninstalling :(

Last edited:

kjm018

Reaction score
Try a long press on the text rather trhan the actual pic. Works everytime for me.

Got it! :icon_ banana:

The first time I read your message, I misunderstood and thought you meant to not push the large picture.

I tried again and pushed on the "text" (or, since there's no text with the picture, the edge of the text message and not the thumbnail itself), and it worked.

Thanks m cribbs and LordKastle!

windstrings

Reaction score
I guess the reason they did that is so we will understand we are forwarding the whole message, picture and all, rather than just the picture.... whatever works!

Verzonhorizons

Reaction score
How to save a picture text...on Droid

You guys are making this way too complicated for even a an engineer to figure out.

To save a picture from our Droid open up the messenger interface scroll until the attached picture sms is in view, touch and hold the photo, an interface will pop up: Lock Message, Copy attached to SD card, Call xxxxxxx, etc etc. Select the Copy attached to SD card and this will save the photo to your Gallery. Happy Droiding.

Slevinn

Reaction score
Sooo.. Quick question.. Because I was checking this thread out, it lead me to download handcent sms.. But I'm having a problem.. It's streaming both my Droid SMS system and the Handcent system.. so when I get a text, I get two notifications and two DRROIIIIID sounds.. I've been looking but I don't see how to fix it? Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

windstrings

Reaction score
Sooo.. Quick question.. Because I was checking this thread out, it lead me to download handcent sms.. But I'm having a problem.. It's streaming both my Droid SMS system and the Handcent system.. so when I get a text, I get two notifications and two DRROIIIIID sounds.. I've been looking but I don't see how to fix it? Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Installing Handcent does not turn off the default messenger... just go clear defaults on the default messenger and the droid system will quit using it by default.

settings---->applications---->manage applications--->go to menu at the bottom--->choose filter on the right---->pick "all"--->scroll to messaging--->pick "clear defaults"

rudely

Reaction score
I think whats happening is that you guys are opening the pic in a new browser window or viewer, just open the text itself, it shows the thumbnails to the pics, hold a sec or two on the thumbnail and you get the options to save. If you open the pic you don't.

koolwidget88

Reaction score
can't get this rite

Pls I need help!!!
I can't for the the life of me figure out how to save a picture that someone sends me in a text message onto my phone. It only gives me the option to set it as wallpaper or contact.

I use a little program called "handcent".....its free..... can't say enough about it...

1. It allows sends to groups "you configure on you online google account first" and to recent and you can browse your whole contacts list and pick and choose how many and who you want to send to.

2. I has other cool tweaks "too many to mention"

3. Can send as long a message as you want and it compiles them in 160 character chunks to send seamlessly.. "make sure you check that feature in settings of handcent"

4. Can edit, add and use quicktext.

5. Change the color of your LED and frequency it blinks "under notification settings"

6. Oh yea.. you wanted to know how to save a pic... LOL!

A. Set your handcent to handle your messages.

B. When someone sends you a pic it will some as a mms message and you will be able to see and view the pic.
If you open the pic by holding your finger on it, it will get bigger and you can "set as" etc... but don't go that far if you just want to save it and stay on the screen right before that where you viewed your email.

C. touch the menu at the bottom and in the lower right hand corner you will see "save mms".. touch that.

D. At this point you can see a selection at the top for inbox, outbox, sentbox and all. If its on all you will view your pic regardless where its at in your text mail.

E. Now again choose the menu at the bottom and it will say "copy attached to SD card"

F. Once you pic that you can go in your regular droid gallery and view it as do as you will!

If an effort to be clear and detailed.. don't let the instructions seem intimidating.... its quite easy!

windstrings

Reaction score
Hi! And then how do u get it bak from the sd card??? Help pls n tx

download a free app called "astro".... you can move and manipulate files on your sd card or move to your computer etc if you have your cable hooked up and mounted.

I never bother with a cable anymore unless i"m trying to charge.. I use an app called "websharing" to transfer files back and forth via my wifi connection.