How do I root my HTC Droid Eris to Gingerbread?

Teendaddy08

Reaction score
I want to root my eris to gingerbread. What ROM should I download and where can I get it? If there are any apps I have to download what are they? Also, what are the steps of rooting a droid eris?

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums

doogald

Reaction score
I want to root my eris to gingerbread. What ROM should I download and where can I get it? If there are any apps I have to download what are they? Also, what are the steps of rooting a droid eris?

I hate to point you to a different forum, but this really is the best set of root instructions around. The first three posts will give you the instructions you need to root the phone, and the fourth shows you how to install a custom ROM: Universal Eris Root for Dummies! - Android Forums

And, the easiest GB ROM for new rooters is CondemnedSoul's CM7, found here: [ROM] 1/8/12 Condemned CM 7.2 V22 (2.3.7) R.I.P. - xda-developers (actual download link here: Dev-Host.org - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service )

Most of the GB ROMs require a separate download and flash of a package of Google apps, which includes the Market. These apps are included in CondemnedSoul's CM7.

In the Universal Root for Dummies instructions above, the steps list including a ROM called PlainJaneT2. Rather than downloading and installing that, just use the .zip file from CondemnedSoul's CM7.

OP
T

Teendaddy08

Reaction score
Thanks for that. But when I click on the link to download the gscript.zip file but the page that comes up is some kind of Court order. Is there another site I can get it from? If so what is the website? Can I have a link to it as well?

Sent from my Eris

mamawm

Reaction score
Thanks for that. But when I click on the link to download the gscript.zip file but the page that comes up is some kind of Court order. Is there another site I can get it from? If so what is the website? Can I have a link to it as well?

Sent from my Eris

Go back to the thread for universal Eris root for dummies and go to post #980.

Sent from my A100 using DroidForums

doogald

Reaction score

So, how did it work out?

OP
T

Teendaddy08

Reaction score
When very good.... Thanks for you guys

Sent from my ERIS using DroidForums

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
You do know about the bootloader now being unlock able on the HTCdev.com site right???

:cool:

You've been tapped by the Drummer...

doogald

Reaction score
You do know about the bootloader now being unlock able on the HTCdev.com site right???

That turns out to be not-so-exciting, for a number of reasons:

- the Eris is already quite rootable with the locked bootloader, and it allows kernel replacement, system replacement, etc.
- the new bootloader is still S-ON, and even when it is "unlocked" it does not allow fastboot flash support to replace the recovery, boot, or misc partitions
- it is quite simple for most people with a working Eris to get the engineering S-OFF bootloader installed, which does allow fastboot flashes of the partitions I listed above
- I tried to install this new bootloader using the RUU that HTC provides and the RUU failed with an error message saying that an OTA update was required - I am already at the highest OTA and there is still no new OTA provided.

There is a possibility that this may help people with soft bricked Erises to recover more easily, but we'll have to see.

Lots of discussion about this on androidforums: Eris gets official booloader unlock support (*yawn*) - Android Forums (with the heavy lifting being done by Erisuser1 and Scotty85.)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
That turns out to be not-so-exciting, for a number of reasons:

- the Eris is already quite rootable with the locked bootloader, and it allows kernel replacement, system replacement, etc.
- the new bootloader is still S-ON, and even when it is "unlocked" it does not allow fastboot flash support to replace the recovery, boot, or misc partitions
- it is quite simple for most people with a working Eris to get the engineering S-OFF bootloader installed, which does allow fastboot flashes of the partitions I listed above
- I tried to install this new bootloader using the RUU that HTC provides and the RUU failed with an error message saying that an OTA update was required - I am already at the highest OTA and there is still no new OTA provided.

There is a possibility that this may help people with soft bricked Erises to recover more easily, but we'll have to see.

Lots of discussion about this on androidforums: Eris gets official booloader unlock support (*yawn*) - Android Forums (with the heavy lifting being done by Erisuser1 and Scotty85.)

Oh yes... I'm all aware brother..lol Just an fyi for the op...just trying to help...:) That's what I do! Lol

:cool:

You've been tapped by the Drummer...