How do I root my Droid X?

Alleyezonmike

Reaction score
How would I go about rooting my Droid X and whats everybody mean when they say bricking your phone? And what can I do when I root it that I couldn't do before?

Also is there anyway I can completely back up my phone onto my computer or my SD card??

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How would I go about rooting my Droid X and whats everybody mean when they say bricking your phone?
link 11 in my sig to root
bricking it is just a point where it becomes useless (many ways to do it)

And what can I do when I root it that I couldn't do before?
root apps. link 2 will help you learn about it.

Also is there anyway I can completely back up my phone onto my computer or my SD card??
not without root. with root, u can use titanium backup to do this (or clockwork or bootstrap)

answers in quote.

OP
Alleyezonmike

Alleyezonmike

Reaction score
Thank you sir. I'll be able 2 back it up to my computer? And will I be able 2 get free wifi/connected tethering with root?

Jordan8

Reaction score
Thank you sir. I'll be able 2 back it up to my computer? And will I be able 2 get free wifi/connected tethering with root?

When rooted you can use a wireless tether app yes.

As for making a FULL backup I use droid x bootstrap recovery. It saves it to your sd card, & you can copy it over to your computer if you like.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Alleyezonmike

Alleyezonmike

Reaction score
I downloaded the first file and did something wrong so I deleted it. Now when I plug my phone into my computer it doesn't charge and I don't get the options like it doesn't even know it's plugged in.

turdbogls

Reaction score
you can use Z4 root to Root your phone. Bricking your phone is basically doing something wrong so your phone is as usefull as a brick. but is SBF files there really is no fear of bricking.

rooting lets you do lots of things. but basically it lets you freeze or delete system apps that you dont use, and gets you wifi tethering. it also allows you to install a custom recovery, which allows you to flash custom ROM's. but be aware...this phone is finicky when it comes to flashing ROM's. learn the ways, make a backup of your system before you do ANYTHING to it (other than rooting and getting bootstrap on it) this will make it easy to flash back to stock and grab an OTA update. if you dont do this, you will have some serious hoops to jump through when it comes time to do an update.

Jordan8

Reaction score
I'm still not 100% clear on how to use bootstrap. Any help?

Just open the app, hit the top button then the bottom being sure to allow the super user request if promted.

Your phone will then reboot into recovery, use your arrow keys to go down to backup/restore & select it with the camera button.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App