How do I remove Swype?

JohnDoeJohnDoes

Reaction score
I didn't really like it and now I want to remove it.
I removed it from my AstroFile thing but it still shows up unchecked when I go to "Language & Keyboard."

Is there anyway to make sure I removed it all and remove it from the Language/Keyboard section?

Phillipsave

Reaction score
I think I removed my Swype by going to Settings, Applications, Manage applications, Uninstall.

Droidster163

Reaction score
I tried looking in my applications but it won't show up there. Any other ways? Or ideas on why it is not there?

Droidlicous

Reaction score
Is it the new Beta one if it is you might have to go to the installer (where you logged in to download the .apk) and remove it that way. I'm wondering why you don't like it. I love it. Makes one handed typing so much smoother!!

Steveindajeep

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. The new beta will not let me install it. It says there is a version already installed.

My current installation keeps telling me it's expired. But it is not showing in the Applications so I cannot uninstall it.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > .... Swype should be in the list if you have it installed. If you don't see it, try pressing menu again > filter > all.

sportadic22

Reaction score
can some one help me please.... i cant uninstall swype... it like wont let me.. i went to apps...found it... but there was no uninstall..just clear like data... cache... so i did... i then went to my sd card.. saw a folder.. deleted it.. i then put the oringial installer on.. and pushed uninstall.. it said it failed... but when i try to put the new beta one on.. it said cant because another version is installed.

help ppelase

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
can some one help me please.... i cant uninstall swype... it like wont let me.. i went to apps...found it... but there was no uninstall..just clear like data... cache... so i did... i then went to my sd card.. saw a folder.. deleted it.. i then put the oringial installer on.. and pushed uninstall.. it said it failed... but when i try to put the new beta one on.. it said cant because another version is installed.

help ppelase
Scroll down, Uninstall is there.

sportadic22

Reaction score
now its saying version expired.
When I uninstall thru the original installer..it says failed. I click open and it says its missing a file... com.swype.inputmethod filething

Last edited:

wongism

Reaction score
swypeInstaller

I uninstalled swype but swypeInstaller is not listed. I changed the filter but it's still not in the list. Is there any other way to uninstall swypeInstaller or do i need to reset my phone?

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Go into sd card and find the downloads folder. Swype and installer should both be in there. Delete them both. Froyo has a nice new option to wipe all ties to the app, libraries and all. Going off memory for eclair, but I think installer and apk should both show up when you "filter all" in the Manage Applications screen.

*and always reset phone after removing an app. Just eliminates a lot of crap. It isn't always necessary, but it takes a few seconds to eliminate problems when it is necessary.

Last edited:

wongism

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I have done a search of the SD card and swype/swypeInstaller and not on it. Is there an ini file or something that I can edit or something. There has to be something left over for swype to think it's still there.