How do I re-install SPRecovery?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Lynx, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Lynx

Lynx New Member

So I decided to go with Cyanogen's newest mod yesterday, and I wanted to revery back to Bugless Beast. I tried to install my backup and now it freezes at the motorola logo. I figure I will have to install Cyanogen's mod again, but I am not quite sure how since I used Rom Manager. Once I get that how do I go back to SP Recovery?
  2. toddegreene

toddegreene Member

I read that installing DMUpdater will flash SPRecovery for you and then you can install your other ROMs or unroot. I haven't tried it and of course am not responsible for what you do to your phone. Absent any better ideas, good luck.
  3. eggstain

eggstain New Member

A couple of days ago I had gone from droidmod to cyanogenmod an when trying to go back realized I made an error when backing up...long story short I had wiped my phone and when it booted I never got a setup wizard or anything for that matter. EVERYTHING FC'd. The only backups I had were made in SPRecovery and that was no longer installed.

One thing I could get though was and adb shell with root when connected to my Mac. Bonus.

I found these directions and followed them exactly and was able to get back to SPRecovery.

Requirements:

Root
    Micro SD Card that is inserted into the Droid
    flash_image.zip
    recovery-0.99.2b.img
    USB Data Cable
    Step 1: PC Connection

Using the method found in the USB Debugging guide, connect your Droid to a PC via USB and enable USB Debugging.

Also, using the method found in the MicroSD Mounting guide, connect your Droid to a PC via USB and mount your MicroSD card.

Step 2: Uploading Recovery Files

Download the flash_image and recovery-0.99.2b.img files. These customized files will be flashed onto your Droid to replace the stock Recovery Console. (If you are having problems downloading the flash image file and it only opens, try downloading the flash_image.zip and unzipping the flash_image. It should NOT have an extension.)

Once you have downloaded both files, drag them onto the MicroSD card folder you opened on your computer. After the file has transferred to your MicroSD card, you must unmount your Droid. You are now ready to install the custom image.

Step 3: Installing Custom Image With ADB

Using the method found in the Android Debug Bridge guide, open Command Prompt and point it at your Android SDK tools folder. You will now be entering in the following commands, please read and copy all lines carefully. If you will be copying and pasting, remember to right click inside of Command Prompt and select “paste”, otherwise it will display your keystrokes. After each line, press enter to input the command.

adb shell

Initiate the Unix terminal emulator so that Unix commands may be sent.
    dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/data/local/flash_image

Copies the flash_image file to the Local Data directory.
    chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image

Changes the permissions to the flash_image file so that anyone can read/execute but only the owner can write to it.
    rm /sdcard/flash_image

Removes flash_image from your MicroSD card.
    su

Connect as a “substitute user” to gain permissions for the following commands.
    /data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img

Flashes the image to the recovery partition.
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system

Readies the null and System filesystems.
    mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.bak

Renames recovery-from-boot.p to recovery-from-boot.p.bak. FILE MAY NOT EXIST! If your Droid came preloaded from factory with Firmware 2.0.1, these files do not exist. This step is only necessary for Droids which were preloaded from the factory with the original 2.0 Firmware.
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

Renames install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.bak. FILE MAY NOT EXIST! If your Droid came preloaded from factory with Firmware 2.0.1, these files do not exist. This step is only necessary for Droids which were preloaded from the factory with the original 2.0 Firmware.
    reboot recovery

Reboots your Droid into the Recovery Console.
    Step 4: Inside the SPRecovery Console

You will see one of two Recovery Consoles: the stock one or the SPRecovery Console created by SirPsychoS. If all went well, you should see a different Recovery Console than what you saw during the Obtaining Root guide. Instead of a large “!” graphic, you should see a greenish-gold Android graphic.

As you can see from the above, we want to see the new “SPRecovery” and not the old stock recovery console. You may use the direction pad or a combination of volume, camera, and power buttons to navigate in this screen. If you see the SPRecovery console, you have successfully completed this guide and are now able to make complete backups and restore points.

Upgrading SPRecovery Console:

The developer, SirPsychoS and Sholes.info release new versions of the SPRecovery custom image often. You may notice that a newer version has been released than the one you have on your Droid. It may not be too big a deal, but some hacks require the latest version and it may also be enticing to upgrade for newer, better features. Upgrading the image is a very easy process and requires minimal commands to execute.

Simply download the latest version from this website (or immediately reflected at sholes.info) and save it to your MicroSD card. You do not need to download the flash_image file again, only the recovery.##.img file. You will then need to load ADB and input the following commands:

adb shell

Initiate the Unix terminal emulator so that Unix commands may be sent.
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img

Flashes the new image to the recovery partition.
    exit

Exits ADB Shell
    adb reboot recovery

Reboots your Droid into the Recovery Console.
  4. BIGWORM

BIGWORM New Member

5. LtKen

LtKen New Member

First, the premium version of ROM Manager will flash SPRecovery for you...

Also, the premium version will let you install BB just like you did Cyanogen.

It would be my recomendation that you eat the $3 and just keep ROM Manager around for ease of use. I'm not going to say that Clockwork is the new standard, but it's gaining a lot of ground and most devs support it now.
  6. Riddick

Riddick New Member

The free version of rom manager will flash sprecovery for you. Don't pay for rom manager to flash sprecovery, you can either do it manually or use one of the other methods people have already posted.
  7. LtKen

LtKen New Member

The OP wants to install BB, so I gave him an easier alternative.
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
Search tags for this page
how tk install sprecovery

how to flash sprecovery

how to install sprecovery

how to install sprecovery droid

install sprecovery

install zip with terminal emulator
recover keystrokes android
rom manager dont show sprecovery
sbrecovery-0.99.2b download
sirpsychos sprecovery v0 99.2 b