How do I put my space bar back to normal?

Goblynn93

Reaction score
I really don't like the split space bar/tab key that they've added to FRG22D. Its very annoying. I understand the purpose but the implementation and design are horrible. I want my old full space bar back!!

I have attached pics because no one seems to know what I am talking about...

The pic with the split space bar / tab key... that is NEW to my phone and WOW I have never HATED a phone more than I do mine right now because of this space bar / tab key change.

This pops up if I try to do a Google Search, attempting to modify my first search, this silly TAB pops up and flys me all over the freaking web page! Give me back my full space bar!

Trying to fill in username/password this TAB key pops up and takes over half my space bar... and I hit it by accident every single time and it takes me a few minutes to get back to where I need to be.

GIVE ME BACK MY FULL SPACE BAR!
Droid 1, FRG22D

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really don't like the split space bar/tab key that they've added to FRG22D. Its very annoying. I understand the purpose but the implementation and design are horrible. I want my old full space bar back!!

The pic with the split space bar / tab key... that is NEW to my phone and WOW I have never HATED a phone more than I do mine right now because of this space bar / tab key change.

This pops up if I try to do a Google Search, attempting to modify my first search, this silly TAB pops up and flys me all over the freaking web page! Give me back my full space bar!

Trying to fill in username/password this TAB key pops up and takes over half my space bar... and I hit it by accident every single time and it takes me a few minutes to get back to where I need to be.

Droid 1, FRG22D

I know how annoying that is, but IIRC it only pops up when you have some thng like a form you're filling out and it shouldn't be there when you are doing a regular post.

OP
G

Goblynn93

Reaction score
What the heck is IIRC?

It pops up at random times... for instance, if I do a google search from the default mobile home page it doesn't pop up.

Then, when I try to modify that search, or enter a new search that TAB pops up and I don't know it... and I hit it, and it sends me WAYYYYYYY to the bottom of the screen to the -other- entry area... and when I try and scroll back up it won't! It keeps forcing me back down to where the cursor is like I don't know where I want to be.

I am going to throw this phone in the freeway and happily watch it get run over the next time it happens.

How can I make it go away? Its not helpful, and its a horrible -change- from what I've been used to for YEARS...

Wow its annoying. Make it go away.

Droid 1, FRG22D

I know how annoying that is, but IIRC it only pops up when you have some thng like a form you're filling out and it shouldn't be there when you are doing a regular post.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I Recall Correctly. Yes, it pops up when you text or if you're filling out a password, those type of things. But when you get to the area where you are actually doing your messaging or typing, it goes back to the full space bar.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
feel his pain.

I love my Droid X But...

I'm.tired.of.sending.text.messages.that.look.like.this.

OP
G

Goblynn93

Reaction score
I know how it works... I just want it to go away. This is a massive change and teaching my thumbs this "new" trick is NOT going to work. I am 36 years into having the space bar under my thumbs at all times and seemingly random tab keys placed there is just wrong.

How do I make it go away?

Do I have to root? Change software? Get a new keyboad? Trash the phone?
I don't need to know how it works... I get that already. Its annoying the crap out of me with how it works.

So... Root? New phone? Old Android? Table Saw and cut the phone in half???

If I Recall Correctly. Yes, it pops up when you text or if you're filling out a password, those type of things. But when you get to the area where you are actually doing your messaging or typing, it goes back to the full space bar.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You see that little microphone there? Try tapping it and talking your message. Done that and didn't like it? Give Vlingo a try.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know how it works... I just want it to go away. This is a massive change and teaching my thumbs this "new" trick is NOT going to work. I am 36 years into having the space bar under my thumbs at all times and seemingly random tab keys placed there is just wrong.

How do I make it go away?

Do I have to root? Change software? Get a new keyboad? Trash the phone?
I don't need to know how it works... I get that already. Its annoying the crap out of me with how it works.

So... Root? New phone? Old Android? Table Saw and cut the phone in half???

Well, it's definitely something you need from a custom ROM. I don't know which, if any, has it.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Buy a new keyboard program in the market.
Keyboard pro, swiftkey, etc.

And try not to double post.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
G

Goblynn93

Reaction score
Voice recognition is horrible. It never gets my words right no matter what I do. And it can't do waste waiste, their, there, they're... its terrible. So no, I don't use the voice system if I can avoid it. I spend too much time going back with the keyboard and correcting the voice translation mistakes.

I have looked at alternate keyboards and they all have poor reviews. And the one that I tried "Better Keyboard" totally trashed my phone and I had to factory reset to get it working again.

Is there an older Android version I can hack to that will get rid of this "upgrade" to the keyboard? Previous versions didnt have this poor design, cant I go back to one of those?

And my double post was me trying to cancel the first one since i found out you can add pics to this forum. Most don't allow that. apologies.

Buy a new keyboard program in the market.
Keyboard pro, swiftkey, etc.

And try not to double post.

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Technically you could root and install an older version of android but it would be silly?

Also you would constantly get an upgrade notification which would further drain your battery.

I don't think there's much to offer you considering you seem to be hell bent on not liking the phone anymore.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When are you up for your renewal? Droid 2 doesn't have this issue.

OP
G

Goblynn93

Reaction score
Why would they do this to Droid 1 and not Droid 2?

I am not hellbent on hating the phone. I love this phone. I don't want an iPhone, I am not a MAC/Apple fan. I dislike apple with a passion and their proprietary crap and constant refusal to fess up when they've made a mistake. I don't want to go back to BlackBerry... and everything else out there non-Android seems like a waste... Nokia is dying, Palm is dead... anyone that has their own OS outside of iOS and Android is dying... quickly... so I don't want another non-android phone.

What I am against is not having a choice. I used this phone very successfully since the day it released and this new change is driving me nuts.

Its not a -small- change either. For any human growing up using a keyboard daily its a horrible thing. My thumbs are trained practically at birth to be space bar and that's it! I don't use my thumbs while typing for anything else. Tab key? Under a thumb?

That's as silly as downgrading Android to get rid of it!!

When are you up for your renewal? Droid 2 doesn't have this issue.

Last edited:
OP
G

Goblynn93

Reaction score
ThickButtons is horrible... three thumbs down... Thanks for the suggestion though.

And the other suggestions up higher in replies...

So far I have not found a single keyboard replacement that works any where near as well as the stock...

and if I could just get rid of that dang Tab key the stock would be perfect!

It used to be perfect!

If I root can I change just the installed keyboard? Maybe get the keyboard from an older Android and put it into the current one?

try in the app market...

thick buttons

Last edited: