How do I play my music thru my car radio?

pattyk999

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked but I've been unable to find it. I have a BMW 525 with built in bluetooth, so I already get my calls through my radio. Is there a plug in device that will also play my Droid music over the radio? I have a belkin product that does this for my Ipod but wasn't sure if there was someting for the droid. Clearly, I'm about as technically inclined as this dancing banana:icon_ banana:, so please forgive what is probably a very obvious question. Thank you, thank you! Patty

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
What year is your bmw? Another forum user and I had a conversation about this. I could stream the music on mine but he couldn't.

Outside of the radio you can add an aux input if you dont have one, or use a belkin tuner as well. They all pretty much work the same.

I'm sure this question has been asked but I've been unable to find it. I have a BMW 525 with built in bluetooth, so I already get my calls through my radio. Is there a plug in device that will also play my Droid music over the radio? I have a belkin product that does this for my Ipod but wasn't sure if there was someting for the droid. Clearly, I'm about as technically inclined as this dancing banana:icon_ banana:, so please forgive what is probably a very obvious question. Thank you, thank you! Patty

OP
P

pattyk999

Reaction score
bmw is 2006. How do you 'stream" music? Otherwise, they sell aux devices similar to what I have for my Ipod for the droid?

darkjester73

Reaction score
Yes there is a belkin device that you can use for any mp3 player type device that is similar to the ipod one. It sends out a radio signal to your antenna and just plugs into your ear jack. Granted its not always the best especially if your antenna is in back of your car. but it is possible. I used to have one for a mp3 player i own but never got a good signal. But you can give it a try i picked it up at the smiley store ryhmes with ala 'cart. lol Not sure on the rules of store name dropping. But basically any fm transmitter will do the trick since the audio jack on the droid is 3.5.

BiGJaYDROID

Reaction score
Check in your center console to see if there is an aux jack, if there is you just need a double sided 3.5mm cord plug that into your earphone jack on the droid and then into the aux port in the car and make sure your car radio is in aux mode. That is how my wife uses her droid in her 2007 Acura TSX. I however have 2005 Acura TL and it does not have an aux jack I am using a Monster 300 universal fm transmitter and I have tried several of them this has the sound quality comparible to your normal cd player which is excellent hope this helps...:icon_ peace:

OP
P

pattyk999

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I've learned that I need an fm transmitter (wasn't sure what this device was called). I will give the monster 300 a try. Hopefully it has a decent signal in the San Francisco are. Again, many thanks from a technically challenged person just trying to learn the most she can about her new toy!

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Don't use an FM transmitter.

Use a cable from the headphone jack to the AUX in, or get a bluetooth A2DP receiver and do it in high quality for cheaper. There was a thread today with a link to one on amazon for like $30.

OP
P

pattyk999

Reaction score
Jeremy, is this a small contraption? I don't have an aux in on my stereo so how do I connect it to my stereo and to my droid. Sorry, I need step-by-step. Thank you.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
better off getting a aux jack installed on your radio . my Dodge Magnum 07 came with one I just plug any thing that has a 3.55mm jack into it and bam music

OP
P

pattyk999

Reaction score
Disregard the earlier post. I didn't realize you were suggesting that I purchase a new stereo aka receiver. Thank you

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Jeremy, is this a small contraption? I don't have an aux in on my stereo so how do I connect it to my stereo and to my droid. Sorry, I need step-by-step. Thank you.
Oh, I thought you did have an aux input. If you did, it would be in the center console against the front wall.

I'm not finding any aftermarket AUX inputs for that year/model. I would get the BMW iPod adapter and an iPod.

OP
P

pattyk999

Reaction score
Oh, I thought you did have an aux input. If you did, it would be in the center console against the front wall.

I'm not finding any aftermarket AUX inputs for that year/model. I would get the BMW iPod adapter and an iPod.
I already have the Ipod and Ipod adapter. I was hoping to eliminate a piece of equipment that I have to drag around (I know, rough life we have here!). I'll just deal with what I have. Thank you again to all who have given their input. I really appreciate it!

Moopz

Reaction score
I already have the Ipod and Ipod adapter. I was hoping to eliminate a piece of equipment that I have to drag around (I know, rough life we have here!). I'll just deal with what I have. Thank you again to all who have given their input. I really appreciate it!

BMW offers an aux in solution for the 2004+ 5 series. The part number is 65 120 153 502. The list price for that part is $71.50. Can't estimate the installation but you could ask your dealer. That's the most straightforward and clean method to get the Droid hooked up... with the best quality (outside of getting bluetooth stereo installed).

darkjester73

Reaction score

BMW offers an aux in solution for the 2004+ 5 series. The part number is 65 120 153 502. The list price for that part is $71.50. Can't estimate the installation but you could ask your dealer. That's the most straightforward and clean method to get the Droid hooked up... with the best quality (outside of getting bluetooth stereo installed).

Again I think he wasn't looking to have a big bill just to play music in his car from his Droid. Why get an iPod?? LOL. Anyways yes an FM transmitter is cheapest and less invasive method. No instillation involved. I think they were even giving away a transmitter /charger/holder in a contest on here if you were able to create an opening video for the Droid YouTube channel.