How do I make sure apps are not running

Discussion in 'Casio G'zOne Commando' started by clklkf, Jul 21, 2014.

1. clklkf

clklkf New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    3G
    Just switched from Iphone to the Gzone. With my Iphone I had to double click the homescreen button and swipe the apps up to make sure they weren't running in the background and draining my battery. How do I make sure my apps are not still running on this phone? My battery seems to be dying pretty quickly.

Thank you in advance!

2. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    Welcome to the forum

It really wasn't that simple with the iPhone nor is it totally simple with an Android phone. Your best bet is to determine what is actually using battery from an app standpoint as opposed to system files. I suggest you begin by installing GSam battery monitor to determine what is actually using the battery for a start. Just because the apps need to run doesn't mean they are using battery.

It does matter what those apps are doing when they are running. ie if you are syncing mail every 2 minutes vs. 10 minutes. Also things like location awareness uses some power..

3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    If you're killing things often that actually harms battery life on Android because it is designed to keep a lot of RAM used, instead of open, to aid quicker start up of apps. If you keep killing things to free up RAM it uses cpu (battery) to open them back up.
    As leeshor wrote above, something like gsam will aid in actual cpu usage monitoring vs apps just sitting idle in the background but not fully closed. It'll also show what is actually using the battery, be it screen, cell signal, Bluetooth, apps, etc
    Fwiw, the way Android works if the device needs more RAM for a task it does a much better job of closing idle things to free up RAM than ios does. If you get a free app called Watch Dog lite you can actually watch your device do this or that with the cpu. Set it on live mode and it shows things open, close, move from foreground to background, etc.
    Hope that helps.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

4. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Ratings:
    +199
    A general use rule of thumb: when finish with an app, leave it using the back arrow, not the home key. Although it's not a guarantee that it always shuts down the app, it is definitely better than the home key, which usually does leave them open.

5. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    Some music and video conferencing apps will stay open even using the back button so check the soft menu to see if there is an exit option. There are only a few apps that will do that or have the option.

Search tags for this page

how to make sure apps are not running on android

who do i make sure apps arnt running on droid dna