How do I get the best deal on a new X?

mitchb2

Reaction score
I'm not at all savvy in the wireless world.

Verizon has determined that my Droid 1 is hosed. I can't make or receive calls, and they said the calls aren't being dropped by the carrier, but by the phone itself.

So they're nice enough to let me give them more money and upgrade to a new phone.

So how do I get a new Droid X for the cheapest possible price?

Detonation

Reaction score
If you're upgrading through Verizon, especially as an early upgrade like it sounds, you don't have many options to get a better price. The best deals usually come through third party vendors like wirefly and amazon, but you have to be at the end of your contract.

If you're still under warranty, I would save your money for now and ask for a replacement.

Last edited:
OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
My warranty is expired and my contract goes until July 2011. Verizon said I can upgrade early since my Droid is broken.

So my only option is to go directly through Verizon and pay $200 for a Droid X?

Beka27

Reaction score
Probably. I think that's what everyone is doing. Do you know someone who'd like to piggyback on the deal and split the cost? Or does your early upgrade eliminate you from the BOGO?

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
I called the store and they want $219 AFTER rebate! And corporate discount doesn't apply to phones.

Screw that. I'll just use the phone for texting and data and not have use of voice I guess. When my contract is up I'll move my whole family ($180/month) to another carrier.

FootballRef

Reaction score
Here is what I did just last night.

We had 4 lines. I added a 5th. Got the X for $150 after rebate, so $250. I had an old Env that was able to take the extra number with no data. So, when all is said and done I got my X for $150. But I will have to pay the $10/month for the extra line for a while.

rgn2000

Reaction score
Take a look on craigslist or ebay. I bought my X from Craigslist about a month ago for $200 which was an amazing price (plus it was only 1 month old), but prices continue to drop. You may be able to buy one for $250 and not have to extend your contract. That way you can still have your upgrade in 2011.

wooddale

Reaction score
You will be eligible in april for upgrade you can get it or what ever the hot phone may be for $150 or you can try on ebay or craigs list but your gonna end up paying over $300 unless your real lucky and work at it. There is a place out of China called fairfirm9@yahoo .com that will sell you a brand new one for $243 but you need to ck them out they say phone is guaranteed by Motorola

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
So, my Verizon account now shows that I'm eligible for upgrade right now.
Does this mean I can purchase from Wirefly ($80)? Or am I eligible only if I buy from Verizon?

Reaction score
WireFly had them for $79 with contract upgrade... I'm shocked it came in the mail, but it was the real deal. A bit of a hassle to activate but in the end, beats paying $200.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
So how do you activate the new phone / deactivate the old phone?

wooddale

Reaction score
They always say you are eligible for upgrade you need. To find out how much.

nybadboy11

Reaction score
droid x

My warranty is expired and my contract goes until July 2011. Verizon said I can upgrade early since my Droid is broken.

So my only option is to go directly through Verizon and pay $200 for a Droid X?
right now they are 299 with a 200 $ mail in rebate so thats only 100 now thats cheep!