How do I get rid of gmail.

loves2laugh

Reaction score
Hi,
Ok, I'm new at this whole "smartphone" thing. I just got my Driod Incredible two days ago, and I am getting used to it. The gal at the store where I got it started it for me and got my emails up and running. My yahoo account is my main account and she put yahoo and gmail on it, I would like to completely delete gmail and just make yahoo my only email account, how do I delete gmail?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I will have tons more questions!!!
dancedroid

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can't fully remove gmail. Its a Google phone so it must be tethered to a gmail acct. However you could turn off notifications in the gmail app. Out of sight out of mind.

tappin and a talkin

b_salgado

Reaction score
Also remember, that, your contacts are backed up through Google and Gmail. IF something ever happens to your phone and you need to do a factory reset or if it ever gets stolen, all of your contacts are backed up. All you need to do is simply log back into your Gmail account and it will sync everything back to your phone. Why are you trying to get rid of it?

OP
L

loves2laugh

Reaction score
Hi all!! Thanks for the "welcoms" ;)
About gmail, I use yahoo as my primary account I would like to be able to go to gmail when I want but I don't want notices from it all the time. Also, I now have phone numbers in my contacts from old addreses in my gmail account of people I don't even keep in touch with anymore. I just don't like things "cluttering" my phone that I don't use.
Ha, I am going to keep you people busy!! LOL

zero7404

Reaction score
Hi all!! Thanks for the "welcoms" ;)
About gmail, I use yahoo as my primary account I would like to be able to go to gmail when I want but I don't want notices from it all the time. Also, I now have phone numbers in my contacts from old addreses in my gmail account of people I don't even keep in touch with anymore. I just don't like things "cluttering" my phone that I don't use.
Ha, I am going to keep you people busy!! LOL

likely you will keep yourself busy not us ....
u bought a phone thats got a 'with Google' logo on it. it has to be tied to a gmail account in order to function. so make urself a new gmail account to tie to the phone and never use it for email/contacts.

unfortunately this is how android works, perhaps there exists a rom out there that is modified such that u shouldnt have to use google's spy services

posted via android

bmking24

Reaction score
Somewhere in settings under accounts i think you can pick an option to only sync the phone contacts, not all the other stuff you mentioned is cluttering your phone I believe it is under settings/ accounts/ then click on your email address and it should bring up some sync options

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can also go into notifications in gmail to turn them off. menu key>settings>notifications

This gmail address holds all of your contacts and apps that you download and resync's them if something goes sour with your phone.

OP
L

loves2laugh

Reaction score
My names are not coming up when someone texts or calls me.

Hi, it's me again! ;)

Ok, I have several contacts in my phone numbrers. Someone who I have had in my contacts for a long time texted me yesterday and just his numbrer came up,not his name, and I have his name in my contacts. Also someone called me today who is in my contacts and just the number came up,not her name?? HELP!!!!!

You people are great!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check your gmail account on line to see if you have multiple contacts. I think that causes that to happen.

Every once in a while I have a contact call and the picture doesn't come up but the name does.