How do I get Motocast to work with my Ubuntu 10.x PC?

dln9

Reaction score
Am I just out of luck? I can't find that there is a package of the Motocast software that will work with Linux.

lime4x4

Reaction score
Or use virtualbox and run xp in a virtual world. That's what i do

OP
D

dln9

Reaction score
Alright, I'll use WINE to install Motocast.

Let's see.....

I've downloaded MotoCast_Installer_1.1.70.exe.....

I install it using WINE......

It's progressing......

It's progressing......

WHAT!!?? Now the installation says it requires an "up-to-date version of the 32 bit version of the Java Runtime Environment", but a little later the entire installation fails and I get this message: "There was an error downloading Java to your machine. There may be proxy, firewall, or other network issues causing an HTTP Error 403. Please refer to http://java.com/error403"

Alright, I'll go look at Error 403: Error downloading Java to your machine. Hmmmmm.... It says I should try downloading and running the "Java offline installer". So.... I download that, and run the exe in WINE, and..... and..... What do you know, now I get a different error message: "Installer: Wrapper.CreateFile failed with error 3: Path not found"

So, for all you who suggest running Motocast in WINE - Thank you for the suggestion (I'm being serious and sincere and appreciative), but - Did you REALLY get it to work in WINE? If so, how did you do it? I'd really rather not spend every evening this week trying to trace down every error message that will be thrown up at me - especially if you guys have already figured out how to fix/avoid them.

Thanks again in advance, I appreciate the help.

jtpowell

Reaction score
Installing under Wine doesn't remove any apps prerequisites. So that would also mean you need to install Java under wine. Since you probably do not have IES4Linux call to IE to download will fail. FYI Java does run under wine. I don't think anyone here installed it under wine that was just a suggestion of what you do when you want Windows software on Linux. Your options are Virtualize or Wine. Those are your choices. I don't have any reason personally to test that under wine I have OSX and Windows all my Linux machines are servers, unattended, or headless. This kind of thing is one of the reasons after a decade I've left Linux for the rack room.

Wasatchwildman

Reaction score
There are several data sync apps out there other than Motocast. Maybe you can find one that works with both Android and Ubuntu. The contact list and the like are stored in .db files.
I too am trying to disassociate myself from Windows for full-time home-based file and print servers. I plan on using Ubuntu to build a NAS from an old Windows 2000 server or my old Vista box and would like to do the Motocast thing to it somehow.