How do I get gingerbread? I used Z4 to root awhile back on my Droid 2...

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I had one heck of a time getting GB on my phone (D2, rooted, with a bunch of "root required apps"). I never got the notification that GB was available and every time I went to Settings > About Phone > System Updates, I got a message that Updates was not available, check later. So I went to Google search on how to get/do it. Well, as usual everything was for the DX or D2G, nothing about just D2. The main idea I got from reading several posts was that I had to get the update using WiFi. So I went on my WiFi at home and then went to System Updates and got the info that the update was available.

I unrooted my phone with Z4 and unfroze everything with Titanium and then downloaded the update. It FAILED!

Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers

I figured i would have to SBF, which really irritated me, because I have not messed with the phone since Jan, and had forgotten most of what I knew about SBF. I searched my computer and found the RSD Light 4.7 .msi file and installed it and moved the .ini file into the folder. (I was using DarkOnion's instructions for SBF over at XDA.) His instruction in step 5 said to "extract the patch" which I had no idea what that meant. I assumed the patch was the .ini file, so i edited it and it was just a text file, which meant nothing to me, I googled "extract the patch", got nothing that cleared it up for me and then I googled ".ini" and learned that it is just a text file of instructions. I just copied the file into the RSD light folder, and sure enough it asked if I wanted to overwrite the file, like darkonion said. So I over wrote it.

Next, I found the VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf file in my downloads folder and put a copy of it on my desk top.

I followed the rest of the instructions up to thru step 11. Did step 12 and quit. I was back to stock Frayo.

I did not do steps 13 and 14 because everything was working.

Then I went on WiFi did the System Update, it downloaded and installed successfully.

I found the MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza4 file and used it to root the phone.

Titanium did its thing, I think, because all my apps were on the phone, including my D2bootstrapper, root explorer and all the rest of them, and they worked just fine. I have everything I had with Frayo but was running GB. I think, but am not sure, that if you follow steps 13 and 14 in darkonion's instructions you wipe everything off your phone that did not come with it. I have never done a factory reset, but I assume that is what it does.

EDIT: Just for general info, my WiFi tether and Easy Tether apps work using the new GB os.

Last edited:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It just goes to show, it's better to just sbf and start clean on an ota :)

D2-CM7GB(9/17)