How do I get gingerbread? I used Z4 to root awhile back on my Droid 2...

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a a tuff situation for some people who are new to rooting (including myself). I rooted my Droid 2 as it has Froyo on it. I put ClockworkModRecovery and Droid 2 bootstrapper on it after I used Z4 to root it. I only used the Wireless Tether program and didn't uninstall any of the stock apps.
I received the OTA Gingerbread update but didn't install it. I am hoping that someone who has successfully installed the GB OTA update on their rooted Froyo - Droid 2 would tell me if it works... because I have no idea how I'm gonna get all of my settings, apps and contacts and everything else back the way it is now if the only way to get GB update is to SBF back to stock first. Isn't there a way to do this???

OK. Backup all your apps with titanium backup. Then sbf,, install the ota and then root it with the d3 root method. Then install titanium backup and restore your apps again. It's not as bad as it sounds

CM7GB-601

seventurns9

Reaction score
OK. Backup all your apps with titanium backup. Then sbf,, install the ota and then root it with the d3 root method. Then install titanium backup and restore your apps again. It's not as bad as it sounds

CM7GB-601
Ok I got Titanium Backup Pro installed on my phone. I can't believe how elaborate this program is. Do I need to backup all apps and system data? It seems like there is alot of apps in there.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Backup all apps. Hit the menu key and choose batch. Scroll down to backup Apps. You'll get a checklist. Backup the apps you want.

CM7GB-601

logan6

Reaction score
Thanks to Idopa, my phone is now running stock GB! It took a few hours, but everything worked out. I will root tomorrow and start to experiment with roms. Thanks again, Idopa :) !

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
That was a good hour and a half on the phone, but we got you on the ota! Happy to help.

CM7GB-602

seventurns9

Reaction score
Congratulations, at least one of us got what they came here for. Good job.

leukram

Reaction score
Still a little unclear

CM7GB-601

OK, just to clarify, I too have a Droid 2 (Version 2.3.20.A955) that won't update to the latest OTA. Like seventurns9, I also successfully rooted my phone with z4root and installed ClockWorkModRecovery and Droid 2 Bootstrapper. I have read a lot of different threads, and I think I mostly understand what I have to do. My only questions are:

1. Do I use the System Only or Full 2.3.20 sbf?
2. Does applying the sbf definitely result in the loss of user installed apps?
3. Do I need to use Titanium Backup to restore my apps, or will the backup/ restore features of Rom Manager do the same thing?
4. If I use Titanium Backup, do I need to backup apps only or apps and settings?
5. Do I need to backup apps that are installed to the sd card?
6. I have ran into people talking about an update.zip file in the root directory of the sd card. I have one their currently. Will this interfere with anything, or do I need to remove it before doing the sbf?

I thank you in advance for any direction you can provide.

seventurns9

Reaction score
OK, just to clarify, I too have a Droid 2 (Version 2.3.20.A955) that won't update to the latest OTA. Like seventurns9, I also successfully rooted my phone with z4root and installed ClockWorkModRecovery and Droid 2 Bootstrapper. I have read a lot of different threads, and I think I mostly understand what I have to do. My only questions are:

3. Do I need to use Titanium Backup to restore my apps, or will the backup/ restore features of Rom Manager do the same thing?
4. If I use Titanium Backup, do I need to backup apps only or apps and settings?
6. I have ran into people talking about an update.zip file in the root directory of the sd card. I have one their currently. Will this interfere with anything, or do I need to remove it before doing the sbf?

I thank you in advance for any direction you can provide.

Excellent questions leukram, I take it from your research that we are forced to SBF back to stock because of the Droid2 bootstrapper?
I too have the ability to restore system from Rom Manager, but I went yesterday and put Titanium backup on my phon, although it looks like ROM Manager is way easier to use as it just lets you select the whole file to restore instead of all these different apps like Titanium (real confusing to a newbie).
I also have the update.zip file in the sd card root and don't know what it is for. But I have Root Explorer installed and found that the OTA update gets downloaded to the /cache folder on the phone's storage. The file is called "Blur_Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip" and is 105.72MB. There is also a file called "Blur_Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.crc". I was wondering if someone can tell me if it's useful to copy these 2 files to my SD card for use later (and what utility can I use on my Windows PC, I heard Android Commander will work?), as in after the SBF so that I can just put the files back into the /cache folder and update rather than having the files download all over again?

Thanks

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score

I thank you in advance for any
direction you can provide.

1 full
2 yes. It wipes everything and puts you back to stock
3. Just use titanium backup
4 apps
5 backup all apps that's you want to keep. They will save to the sd
6. You don't have to remove it to sbf, but if you're going to install the gb ota by the rename to update.zip method, you'll have to erase or rename the one currently on the sd. You don't want 2 update.zips on the root of the sd.
So, if youre going to dl the ota from vzw, there's no need to get rid of the update zip on your sd.

CM7GB-602

leukram

Reaction score
1 full
2 yes. It wipes everything and puts you back to stock
3. Just use titanium backup
4 apps
5 backup all apps that's you want to keep. They will save to the sd
6. You don't have to remove it to sbf, but if you're going to install the gb ota by the rename to update.zip method, you'll have to erase or rename the one currently on the sd. You don't want 2 update.zips on the root of the sd.
So, if youre going to dl the ota from vzw, there's no need to get rid of the update zip on your sd.

CM7GB-602

Thanks for all the answers! I forgot to ask one last question. Should I *not* backup droid2 bootstrapper and/ or z4root, or does it not matter so long as I don't try to root the phone with the new ota? Thanks.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sure. Back them up. They're always good to have. You won't need z4 once on the ota (it won't work), but you will need bootstrap to get into recovery once you root the ota.

CM7GB-602

Riayoko

Reaction score
Yes free wifi is gone from what i got but you want to make sure you unroot before updating i am now caught in a problem with rooting with Z4 root and updated before i could unroot now i need to flash sbf and use the one click root.. try it hopefully it works.

leukram

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers! I forgot to ask one last question. Should I *not* backup doid2 bootstrapper and/ or z4root, or does it not matter so long as I don't try to root the phone with the new ota? Thanks.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but in your previous reply to my list of questions, you said to use Titanium Backup to backup just the user apps. Would it be bad to use it to backup the user apps and system data, when it comes time to restore under the new OTA? That is, would the system data stuff conflict with the new OTA? I am not trying to challenge your previous answer, I just want to better understand what Titanium Backup is doing. And, ultimately, after doing all these steps, I would like to get my phone as close (apps and settings-wise) to how it is prior to doing everything. Part of why I rooted my phone in the first place was to be able to backup and recover, should it be necessary. Now that the time has come to have to do this, I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks again for all your help.

tygerchylde

Reaction score
My issue is that I'm running Liberty Froyo, have a nandroid backup from before liberty, but I have CWM bootstrapper and cannot sbf. The only comp I have access to has no usb 2.0 ports, and from what I understand that causes the reenumeration error I keep getting. Is there anything you guys can think of that I can do so I can get the ota update?

Sent from my Liberated DROID2 using DroidForums App

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but in your previous reply to my list of questions, you said to use Titanium Backup to backup just the user apps. Would it be bad to use it to backup the user apps and system data, when it comes time to restore under the new OTA? That is, would the system data stuff conflict with the new OTA? I am not trying to challenge your previous answer, I just want to better understand what Titanium Backup is doing. And, ultimately, after doing all these steps, I would like to get my phone as close (apps and settings-wise) to how it is prior to doing everything. Part of why I rooted my phone in the first place was to be able to backup and recover, should it be necessary. Now that the time has come to have to do this, I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks again for all your help.

There's no need to backup system data. It will most likely conflict with a different system. I've never restored system data, only apps.

CM7GB-602