How do I get gingerbread? I used Z4 to root awhile back on my Droid 2...

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that if you messed with the phone enough, you wouldn't even be able to see the update. What you say may be true. You can unroot to be safe. Truly uninstalling bootstrap is a real pain (its not as easy as just erasing it). Now, I'm the kind of guy that would sbf and then get the update that way to ensure the cleanest update possible. That's what I recommend to you.

CM7GB-601

logan6

Reaction score
I had the same problem yesterday when I tried to update. I had un-rooted my Droid 2 right before I started the download. A few minutes ago when i had to pull the battery because the phone froze (which happens every day or so) it booted into clockwork recovery. I was wondering if there was a way to just delete a few things to be able to install the update possibly without doing an SBF because I am a noob.

Last edited:

seventurns9

Reaction score
I know I tried getting rid of ClockWorkModRecovery bootstrapper and I was able to, but the Droid 2 bootstrapper is really persistent.
I have never done an SBF, but I do have alot of backups from ClockWorkModRecovery... I don't want to spend hours and hours on rebuilding my phone (my girlfriend is ready to leave me already :)) So any idea what I can do to get more reponses from folks on this... not that I don't appreciate yours, but maybe someone has already faced exactly what I'm asking?

seventurns9

Reaction score
I had the same problem yesterday when I tried to update. I had un-rooted my Droid 2 right before I started the download. A few minutes ago when i had to pull the battery because the phone froze (which happens every day or so) it booted into clockwork recovery. I was wondering if there was a way to just delete a few things to be able to install the update possibly without doing an SBF because I am a noob.

Did it install the OTA GB update successfully? Did you reroot the phone after the update? It seems that you have to use "Click to root your DROID 3" to reroot a Droid 2 running GB.

logan6

Reaction score
The install failed. I haven't rerooted froyo. Would it almost be better to re-root froyo and install a rooted or custom gingerbread as a rom? I'm in a little over my head here, but if I was linked to a post about it with instructions I could probably do it as I've never flashed or installed any roms before.

seventurns9

Reaction score
The install failed. I haven't rerooted froyo. Would it almost be better to re-root froyo and install a rooted or custom gingerbread as a rom? I'm in a little over my head here, but if I was linked to a post about it with instructions I could probably do it as I've never flashed or installed any roms before.
So you unrooted Froyo, tried the OTA GB update, it failed, and now the phone is running unrooted Froyo but it freezes up on you at least once a day? Well I give you credit for trying as I didn't go that far, but from everything I looked at so far there are alot of people just SBF'ng back to stock Froyo to get the OTA GB update and then rooting it with one of the Droid 3 root methods. I would just use Google and put in "SBF Froyo for Droid 2" and try that way. I'm not sure but I don't think the rooted GB SBFs are the same as the OTA GB update that you can root (I'd like to get the reliable one from Verizon if I was in that situation).

For my situation I haven't tried the OTA GB update on my rooted Droid 2 so if anyone out there has sound advice please share :)
Thanks

logan6

Reaction score
It's been freezing every day or so for the past few months. I'm not as worried about that as I am it booting into clockwork recovery. I was looking around at other posts and people were saying they couldn't get out of recovery after they sbf'ed back to froyo and tried to update to the OTA GB. I think i will just stick with unrooted Froyo until someone can help with the whole sbf back to froyo to update to OTA GB problem.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll be happy to walk you through sbf of you like. It's super easy. First, back up all your apps with titanium backup. Also backup your launcher settings in your launcher application.

I'm sending you a pm with my number now. Feel free to call me if you need a walk through (I do it at least twice a day so don't feel like you're imposing)

CM7GB-601

Last edited:

seventurns9

Reaction score
It's been freezing every day or so for the past few months. I'm not as worried about that as I am it booting into clockwork recovery. I was looking around at other posts and people were saying they couldn't get out of recovery after they sbf'ed back to froyo and tried to update to the OTA GB. I think i will just stick with unrooted Froyo until someone can help with the whole sbf back to froyo to update to OTA GB problem.
I would take ldopa up on his offer. From everything I've read it really isn't that difficult, especially when you have help from someone that has done this every day :happy: Then you can always get the OTA update and root that, and you'll be in the place you've set out to be from the start in alot less time and with a better functioing phone.

logan6

Reaction score
I would take ldopa up on his offer. From everything I've read it really isn't that difficult, especially when you have help from someone that has done this every day :happy: Then you can always get the OTA update and root that, and you'll be in the place you've set out to be from the start in alot less time and with a better functioing phone.
I pm'ed him, he called me, and now i'm re-rooting so I can SBF. Idopa is a pro. Thanks again :)

seventurns9

Reaction score
I pm'ed him, he called me, and now i'm re-rooting so I can SBF. Idopa is a pro. Thanks again :)
Good news. Let me know how the whole process turns out after you get the OTA GB update done and rooted. I hope everything works for you.

seventurns9

Reaction score
This is a a tuff situation for some people who are new to rooting (including myself). I rooted my Droid 2 as it has Froyo on it. I put ClockworkModRecovery and Droid 2 bootstrapper on it after I used Z4 to root it. I only used the Wireless Tether program and didn't uninstall any of the stock apps.
I received the OTA Gingerbread update but didn't install it. I am hoping that someone who has successfully installed the GB OTA update on their rooted Froyo - Droid 2 would tell me if it works... because I have no idea how I'm gonna get all of my settings, apps and contacts and everything else back the way it is now if the only way to get GB update is to SBF back to stock first. Isn't there a way to do this???

seventurns9

Reaction score
I got it to work the first time with my z4rooted setup, but it's must more likely if you do SBF first and start from a clean install. Follow the links posted above. It's ten times easier than it looks.
So you were successful at installing the GB OTA update on rooted Froyo... did you unroot first and do you have any bootstrap installed?