1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How do I fix messaging smilies to not look like robots?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gavron, May 29, 2010.

1. gavron

gavron New Member

When using "messaging" or Handcent, smilies (emoticons) look like little robots. That's cute. I get it. Droid. Android. Robot. Ok now it's old.

How can I change them to look like SMILIES. For example... : - ) should look like a smilie :)

Just so you know... I googled... I searched the forum... I tried Metamorph... I tried Handcent fonts... I even tried disassembling the handcent apk. Nothing clued me in as to how to turn those robots into regular normal emoticons.

FYI I'm a regular user of Pidgin and former user of Trillian, so am happy to go deep to change icons... I am lacking the knowhow and would love a pointer to it.

Thanks in advance,

E
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

May or may not help you to know that using Google Voice takes the robot out of the smiley. It doesn't give you a regular round smiley, more like the ones in your OP.
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  3. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Root the phone and then modify your framework-res.apk file. The robots are in here.
  4. gavron

gavron New Member

How do I do that?

What do I get if I root my phone?

Why isn't this covered anywhere?

No I'm kidding. It's rooted. I'm on SG6.0. ;)

Could you please explain in just a bit more detail where the "robots" are?

Thanks!

Ehud
  5. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

prob in the framework apk which you pull from the phone and then rename to zip and look in folders for image files and just replace them then send then zip back rename to apk copy it over change permissions and bam done, but some apks you need to be in recovery to do this...
  6. kevdog

kevdog New Member

The smilies are within
    framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi

I've included a picture

Looks like someone has to read up on how to theme their framework-res.apk without breaking the signature (its easy)!!
  7. killabyte

killabyte New Member

You know that no matter what it looks like on your end it will appear however it is configured to on the other persons side, right?
  8. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I have some other emoticons that someone else made that are much better.

Once you COPY your apk to your sdcard and then to your pc, you open up you apk with 7zip. Swap out the images and close up the file. Copy your apk back to your sdcard and in terminal emulator, type in the following to insert back in place:

su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox cp -R /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
    reboot

press the enter button after each line of text.

NOTE: These are broad stroke instructions but if you've done editing of APKs before, it should be enough.
  9. gavron

gavron New Member

Thanks for all the great information.

I am guessing emo_im_laughing.png and its like are the ones used by the messaging/Handcent programs but am not sure.

If someone has a set of emoticons to replace this, it would be great if they could share.

I do NOT know how to sign the APK, and I *have* seen it discussed before. Google got me this tutorial: Signing Your Applications | Android Developers but that seems a lot more complex than I recall reading.

I recall reading an article about how you can get around this with a one liner... but search and google are not finding it.

Can someone please provide a link? I'm not lazy... but 99% of the hits are from people _asking_ not anyone actually _answering_...

Thanks

Ehud
  10. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

You don't need to resign anything but because the framework-res.apk runs so much on the phone, you can't just paste it in over the other.

Here's an example of the smilies I have. If you'd like you can email me a copy of your apk and I'll insert them for you and send back.
  11. gavron

gavron New Member

12. gavron

gavron New Member

Thank you for your kind offer... I'm afraid I will need to take you up on it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

My framework-res.apk is at http://www.myehud.com/framework-res.apk. I attempted to upload it here (after renaming it to .zip) but "file upload failed"... so I suspect the hotel is sticklish about uploads. (Didn't have a problem with sftp to my home system...)

What I did is
    1. Extract the files with unzip
    2. Overwrite the emoticons with the ones from the aforementioned Emoticons.zip thread.
    3. p7zip . in the direction that had res, META... etc.
    4. rename ..7z to framework-res.apk and place on sdcard
    5. recovery console... adb... sysrw... mv framework-res.apk framework-res.apk_orig and cp /sdcard/framework-res.apk .
    6. reboot

What I got was one big Motorola logo. I did a battery pull. Another big Motorola logo.

Adb shell WAS working at that point, so I just sysrw'd and moved the _orig back, and rebooted. Everything came up at that point.

MY version was 200K. The original was 320K. So I'm sure it's some aspect of how I'm compressing it that is generating an obviously invalid apk.

E
  13. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Your apk won't upload from here either. Is there anything else changed in it? If not, I'll take the stock one I have and load up that one for you.
  14. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

15. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

16. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Do not unzip your framework file. Open it within winrar or 7zip and then navigate back to the appropriate folder. Then just drop and drag your icons to replace the stock icons in the file within 7zip or winrar. Then use abd to push the file back to the phone within /system/app/ and then reboot. That's all you have to do. Do not unzip the file -- and remember to always make a backup of the framework file before modification in case things get screwed up.
  17. gavron

gavron New Member

Thank you!

Looking forward to trying it... thank you! I think it's stock... but it's part of AdamZ's SG6.0 so that's an assumption on my part. I'll report back and edit this post after I've tried it -- fortunately I already have a nandroid backup from earlier :)

Again, thank you, and more to come.

*a few minutes later*
    SUCCESS. I copied it. I chmod 644'd it. It boots. NICE ICONS!!!
    Thank you :)

Ehud
    Las Vegas Airport
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  18. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

You're welcome and let us know if it worked. I ran AdamZ's 6.0 as well. I think mine is originally from that ROM. Should be fine since it's the one I modded then too.
  19. QueenTiye

QueenTiye New Member

Good heavens!

There's no app for a smiley set? Can someone make one? I don't want to have program the danged things??

QT
  20. gavron

gavron New Member

Putting said apk in (using adb shell in recovery console) caused the boot animation to never complete.

I restored the original framework-res.apk and still have droid smilies :(

E
Search tags for this page
android emoticons dont look like that
android replace stock smilies
android robot emoticons
change emoticons android green robot
change emoticons in messaging on s4
don't like the android emoticons
emoticons look like robots
fix android smilies
how do i get rid of droid emoticon