How do I enable the "Text To Speech" option

w27bill

Reaction score
:motdroidvert:Moto Droid 2.1
Hi all.
I'd LOVE to be able to configure my Droid to SPEAK my INCOMING TEXTS i get from my friends etc.
My prior phone, a stupid LG, came standard w/ that option. Easy.
I'd sure think that I am just missing an easy step here to set my phone to "SPEAK my incoming texts".
From my home screen, when I go into "SETTINGS", "TEXT-TO-SPEECH", the "Install voice data" is grayed out, so i can't enable it.
Am I on the right track to getting my Droid to "SPEAK my INCOMING TEXT MESSAGES?
I have already d/l the "DRIVESAFE.LY" App, which works good enuff, except it shuts off each time I remove my phone from the "Charging dock/Multi-media station" (which I do QUITE often throughout the day @ my desk), so I've got to keep going into the app and turning it back on.
ANY SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE W/ BE GREATLY:icon_ banana:APPRECIATED!

Joker

Reaction score
Hi Welcome to the Forum
Although it looks like you have a few post already, thought a welcome is still a good idea. As for text-to-speech for text message, i have not found a way to do it with the stock messenger app. (my previous phone, LG as well, was able to do this too) But there is an app "handcent SMS" that has that ability. Give that a try.

eliassami5

Reaction score
there is no stock option for that, im sure there are other apps on the market that will do what you are wanting besides drivesafely, just search the market.

found this one: SMS Speak - Android app on AppBrain
its 99 cents but if you use that feature a lot it'll be worth it. If you dont like it you can return the app within 24hrs for a full refund.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
goto...

settings > language and keyboard > android keyboard (the one without the checkbox) > voice input.

then make sure the option that says "on main keyboard" is selected

then when you have the onscreen keyboard on you will see a small microphone on the left side of the space bar.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
:motdroidvert:Moto Droid 2.1
Hi all.
I'd LOVE to be able to configure my Droid to SPEAK my INCOMING TEXTS i get from my friends etc.
My prior phone, a stupid LG, came standard w/ that option. Easy.
I'd sure think that I am just missing an easy step here to set my phone to "SPEAK my incoming texts".
From my home screen, when I go into "SETTINGS", "TEXT-TO-SPEECH", the "Install voice data" is grayed out, so i can't enable it.
Am I on the right track to getting my Droid to "SPEAK my INCOMING TEXT MESSAGES?
I have already d/l the "DRIVESAFE.LY" App, which works good enuff, except it shuts off each time I remove my phone from the "Charging dock/Multi-media station" (which I do QUITE often throughout the day @ my desk), so I've got to keep going into the app and turning it back on.
ANY SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE W/ BE GREATLY:icon_ banana:APPRECIATED!

I use the MotoSpeak app which also requires the motorola bluetooth H17txt (there are other compatibles I believe but I do not know what they are). This app when enabled with the bluetooth reads your incoming msg's and I believe you can upgrade to a premium version that reads emails - not sure I have not tried. However, is very accurate but altho the app itself is free, the headset is a bit pricey but worth it if you spend alot of time on the road or like the handsfree aspect.

SGTiger

Reaction score
goto...

settings > language and keyboard > android keyboard (the one without the checkbox) > voice input.

then when you have the onscreen keyboard on you will see a small microphone on the left side of the space bar.

He wants his text messages spoken to him, not vice-versa.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
goto...

He wants his text messages spoken to him, not vice-versa.

lol i guess i shouldn't have had that extra drink at the bar earlier...