How do i do nandroid backup

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dredge, Feb 15, 2010.

1. dredge

dredge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    do i go into that sprecovery thing?
    or can someone give me a step-by step
    or can someone link me to a guide

appreciated if done

2. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Performing a NANDROID Backup

At this point you should backup your phone via NANDROID
    1 Turn your phone off.
    2 Hold Home, press Power button to boot into Recovery Mode
    3 Press ALT+B to start the backup.
    4 Once the backup has completed press Home + Back

Next your phone will reboot and load the OS, at this point you should copy the files your just backed up to your PC incase you need to recover your phone
    1 Mount your SDCard to your PC
    2 On your SDCard change to the nandroid/HT840GZ30985
    3 Inside this folder you will see another folder the first 8 digits of this folder name is the date it was created in the YYYYMMDD format and the last four are the time.
    4 Copy this entire folder to your PC and save it. As you make more backups to your phone repeat this process.
    NOTE:I tend to append the build the backup is of i.e. 20090429-0421_ADP_Hv15_r2 So I know this build is the ADP build by haykuro version 2.

3. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    - Restore Phone Via NANDROID Backup & Fastboot -

So now you've just backed up your phone or bricked it and want to know how in the hell do I recover my phone with these backups I'm creating...

Things you will need:
    Android SDK: Download the Android SDK | Android Developers
    Fastboot Windows Binary: http://android-roms.googlecode.com/files/fastboot-win32.zip
    Android USB Drivers: http://android-roms.googlecode.com/files/android_usb_windows.zip

Installing the SDK (http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.5_r1/installing.html): Download the Android SDK (link above) extract the files to a location on your PC i.e. C:\sdk Next On Windows, right-click on My Computer, & select Properties. Under the Advanced tab, hit the Environment Variables button, & in the dialog that comes up, double-click on Path (under System Variables). Add the full path to the tools/ directory to the path.
    So using the example from above the path you would be adding is c:\sdk\tools ​
    - Note that, if you update your SDK in the future, you should remember to update your PATH settings to point to the new location, if different. -
    -Once the SDK is extracted & the Environment Variables updated
    -Download the Fastboot Windows Binary & extract it in the same folder as adb. So using the same example you will place the files in the c:\sdk\tools
    -Reboot your phone
    -Turn your phone on & hold both Camera + Power
    -You should now see a white screen with three androids on skateboards (If you do not see this STOP, repeat the Hard SPL Installation above)
    -Take out the usb cable & connect it to your phone, now press the back key on the phone.
    -In the middle of the screen your phone should now say FASTBOOT, if it says SERIAL keep pressing back on the phone till you see FASTBOOT
    -If it asks you to install drivers, then use the usb drivers above.

-If it doesn't ask you to install a driver, you need to figure out if the correct driver is loaded already.
    -Right click on My Computer, & click Manage, then go to the device manager
    -If you see an "ADB Interface" category at/near the top, with "HTC Dream" under it, then you're good to go. Fastboot should be working for you.
    -If you don't see an "ADB Interface" category, then it's likely that windows loaded the USB Mass Storage driver for it automatically.
    -In the device manager, go down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", & see if you have at least one "USB Mass Storage device". If you have multiple ones, you'll need to go through each to find the correct one.
    -To find the correct one, right click on the USB Mass Storage device & click Properties. -Go to the Details tab.
    -In the combo box at the top that says "Device Instance Id", bring up the pull down & choose "Compatible Ids".
    -If that is the correct device, then you will see 3 entries:

• USB\Class_ff&SubClass_42&Prot_03
    • USB\Class_ff&SubClass_42
    • USB\Class_ff
    Once you find the correct device, go to the driver tab, & click "Update Driver". Choose "No, not this time", then "Install from a list or specific location", then "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install", & then choose the same usb driver that you used to get adb to work.
    -Once you have completed this Open a Cmd Prompt (Windows Key + R, then cmd)
    -fastboot devices
    It should list a device in the list, if it does you are fine to flash images to your phone if not please repeat the process above. You may have to delete the android phone under the device manager.

From the NANDROID Backup you will only need to flash three files:
    -data.img
    -system.img
    -boot.img

Copy the above three files to the directory on your Cmd Prompt or change directories through the Cmd Prompt to the location of the nandroid files either way will work.

Once the files are in the same directory that Cmd Prompt is accessing then type each cmd below followed by enter. The cmd will send & then flash the image.

fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash userdata data.img
    fastboot reboot

Your phone will reboot into the OS & your back to the image you just flashed! ENJOY!

4. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    SDSPLIT repartition your SDcard Fat32 / Ext2

1 Must have a Custom ROM installed!
    2 Install the sdsplit executable to your phone. To so this, open the 'terminal' application / ADB Shell and type the following commands at the prompts:

(Note: you will need an internet connection on your phone for this step)
    If you are running these cmds from ADB Shell you do not need to type "su" as you will already have root
    $ su
    # cd /data
    # wget http://64.105.21.209/bin/lib/droid/sdsplit
    # chmod 555 sdsplit
    # exit

3 Decide the size of your FAT partition:
    You should use one of two approaches to decide the size of your FAT partition. The first one involves simply directly deciding this size (i.e. I want a 5G FAT partition). In this case, the EXT2 partition will be the remainder of the card.
    size_of_fat_partition = size
    The second method is based upon the fact that you want to decide the size of the EXT2 partition and would like the FAT partition to be the remainder of the card. In this case, the size of the FAT partition will be based on the size of your sdcard and the size of the EXT2 partition that you want. Use this formula to calculate it:
    size_of_sdcard - size_of_ext2_partition = size
    So, if you have an 8GB sdcard and want 1GB of space for apps on your EXT2 partition, use 7000M for the FAT size.
    No matter which method you use, you will need to specify either bytes (no parameter), kilobytes (K) or megabytes (M) . So, for a 5G partition would use a 5000M size parameter.
    Note: The size parameter is currently case sensitive, use 7500M, not 7500m!
    4 Backup your SDCard onto your PC

Note: To figure out how much data (in K) you have on you FAT partition, you can type the following in your terminal / ADB Shell (the sdcard can not be mounted for this cmd to work):
    $ du -s /sdcard
    Note: to find out how much free space is left on your /data partition type (see available)
    $ df /data
    5 Run sdsplit. Use the size from step 3 below (do not forget the "M" in size if you are specifying megabytes): (Note: you will need an internet connection on your phone for this step)
    Note: If you are using the JF1.5 update, you should put a -nc at the end of the commands below since system configuration is not needed!
    Non JF1.5 Build:
    $ su
    # /data/sdsplit -nd -fs size
    # exit

JF1.5 Build:
    $ su
    # /data/sdsplit -nd -fs size -nc
    # exit

Please, remember to record the output of this stage if you run into a problem. There will be a permanent record of it in, /data/sdsplit.log.
    6 Reboot your phone, via terminal:
    reboot

Via ADB Shell:
    adb shell reboot

7 Restore your data from your PC to your Fat partition of your SDCard.

8 You're done! You should have two partitions now on your sdcard. The FAT one mounted at /sdcard and the EXT2 one mounted at /system/sd.
    DO IT AGAIN:
    If you simply want to change the size of your partitions because you are not happy with them after the first run, and you have not wiped or reinstalled your system in the mean time, repeat step 5 with the -fu and -nc options at the end. Be aware that this will delete any data you have put on the EXT2 partition. You may do this as many times as you like.

/data/sdsplit -nd -fs size -fu -nc

i.e.

$ su
    # /data/sdsplit -nd -fs 7000M -fu -nc
    # exit

Problem Report: If your run into any serious problems, there is a log file located at: /data/sdsplit.log if you can get it off your phone.

5. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Setting up your phone to work with Apps 2 SD (A2SD)

The SDcard will need two partitions, the first Fat / Fat32 & the second Ext2 For the Ext2 partition I wouldn't go higher than 1.5GB cuz you may run into some issues. I was staying around the 500MB / 750MB area & it was working nice. As all the guides I've read state not to exceed the 1.5GB Marker.
    After you have both partitions setup you can install the OS, then it's just a matter of setting up the symlinks & moving the apps over / installing new ones. Now remember it may be best to do a wipe prior to installing this build if you aren't already on the same A2SD Build already.
    Once the OS is installed first thing I would do is from a terminal on the phone / ADB Shell:
    su
    busybox df -h
    If you don't see a row that has /system/sd on it then the process didn't pick up your SDCard. I'd suggest you to re-install / re-format the card.
    Next if you didn't perform a wipe we'll move the data over, run these cmds either via terminal / adb shell:
    busybox cp -a /data/app /system/sd/
    busybox cp -a /data/dalvik-cache /system/sd/ (optional)
    busybox cp -a /data/data /system/sd/ (optional)

The last two cmds here are optional (they are to move the cache for each app) & some have reported issues when copying these over so if you are having issues I would leave these on the /data partition.
    1 Once your done with the above, power off your phone
    2 Press & hold the Home Button & press Power to boot into Recovery Mode
    3 Once the recovery menu opens & it's showing you JF's custom menu press ALT+X to enter the Recovery Terminal.
    4 Press enter & a prompt should come up with a "#".

Next enter these cmds:
    mount data
    rm -rf /data/app
    ln -s /system/sd/app /data/app
    rm -rf /data/data (optional)
    ln -s /system/sd/data /data/data (optional)
    rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache (optional)
    ln -s /system/sd/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache (optional)
    reboot

Again the 4-7 cmds are optional & for the cache only of an app, so if you moved the cache over in the above cmds then on this section you will run them as well.
    You must run the optional cmds in both sections for them to work, or run them in neither!
    During the reboot process your phone might take a while at the android screen since it has to populate the apps tray. If it lasts >5-10 minutes then something likely went wrong. Make sure you did all the steps correctly & if you did try the steps in the recovery terminal section of this tutorial again. If it still doesn't work, post here & we'll try to get it sorted out. That aside, enjoy having your apps on SD card!
    Also I wouldn't suggest you moving the /data/app-private.

6. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unroot your Phone / Place Phone Back to Stock

1 Download the DREAIMG.nbh: http://android-roms.googlecode.com/files/DREAIMG-RC29.zip
    2 Place "DREAIMG.nbh" on the root of your SD card.
    3 Turn your phone off.
    4 Start up in bootloader mode by holding Camera + Power.
    5 Hit power button to start the update.
    6 Once the install completes hit action(trackball down) and your phone will reboot.

- You now have the stock RC29 firmware, now it will update on it's own in a bit -

7. Signum

Signum Member

Ratings:
    +17
    what the **** is this garbage that was posted...lol

8. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,666
  9. blake2050

blake2050 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, such a simple question not being answered easily.
    Dude, just power off phone and then while holding x power back on. That will get you to sprecovery given you have installed it. Go to backup/restore and then backup from there..

Search tags for this page
droid incredible nandroid
how much space is required for nandroid backup
how to do a image backup on droid incredible
how to take nandroid backup htc dream

nandroid backup guide

turning phone off during nandroid
usb\class ff&subclass 42&prot 03
what partitions to backup during nandroid