How do I disable voice alerts?

YellowJacket

Reaction score
OK, this is driving me crazy. All of a sudden my Maxx has started alerting me of texts with voice alerts rather than the default text tone. I've been through all the settings and can not seem to find how to turn them off and restore it back to my original tone. I have gone into "sounds" and selected the tone I use but I still get the voice notification. I have also looked in voice commands, language and input, and accessibility and can't find a setting.

I'm using the stock text app and have not made any changes or installed any new apps (recently) but have had several apps autoupdate.

Thanks,

David

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Check accessibility settings. I'm running a custom rom, so I can't check myself. But those settings address designed fir disabled users. Your voice alerts may be in those settings

Sent from my XT912 running Scalpel CM10 jelly bean

MDTeddy3

Reaction score
Hi David,
I just had a voice notification for a txt msg. from my wife, on my Droid 4. This is something that I do not want (the voice announcements that is, txts from the wife are OK!). I found the problem to be a setting within "Smart Actions" (an app on my Droid which allows my phone to do certain user-set options). In "Smart Actions", I had set an option for how the phone was to operate in my vehicle, i.e., "driving mode". The driving mode had an option selected, inside of it, that would announce incoming calls, and text messages. I unchecked that option, and all is good. Just go through your phone/similar driving mode possibilities, and see if you can find that option. Should work. Hope this helped somewhat! - Michael

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I actually just went through something similar on my Razr M after the JB upgrade. It was driving me crazy because there was no way to deactivate it in the accessibility settings. All my texts. Fb posts, emails, etc were being read to me. I finally found the necessary setting to disable it in “Language & input."

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike, tis and everyone else. I did have a smart actions for driving mode and disabed text notification. Still didnt change anything. Also looked in language and input and can't find a setting for it. Frustrating....

Wouldn't be too bad a problem but it prononces my last name pretty darn funny.

I'm going to disable smart actions and CarHome Ultra, reboot and see if that helps.

Thanks,

David

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
ugggghh. Still talking to me. I really don't want to do a FDR but it looks like thats gonna be the only thing to fix it.

David

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Boy, an fdr should not be necessary to disable something that should be fairly simple, but I was at the same point of frustration. On my M, it was the setting for "Google voice typing" that I unchecked (found in launguage & input). Seems to me that it would have made sense to disable that feature in "Text-to-speech output" ...it's beyond me what they were thinking when they decided to go against what should be the obvious.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums

MDTeddy3

Reaction score
Try this...

OK, this is driving me crazy. All of a sudden my Maxx has started alerting me of texts with voice alerts rather than the default text tone. I've been through all the settings and can not seem to find how to turn them off and restore it back to my original tone. I have gone into "sounds" and selected the tone I use but I still get the voice notification. I have also looked in voice commands, language and input, and accessibility and can't find a setting.

I'm using the stock text app and have not made any changes or installed any new apps (recently) but have had several apps autoupdate.

Thanks,

David

David,

You can try this: Go to settings, apps, all apps, find Google text-to-speech engine, open it, disable it. That should shut it up! *Note - open apps by way of settings (my apps are listed under "device" in "settings". Don't use your phone's apps shortcut. Your home screen's apps shortcut will not get you into the phone's internal apps.

lxshanexl

Reaction score
Having same issue, some more detail. It is a Smart Action problem.

OK, I have been having this same problem for a few days now also. I have a DROID Razr running 4.0.4. I think I have identified the cause, but cannot figure out how to rectify it.

I recently enabled the Smart Action "Driving." This includes an action "Voice Announce" that is enabled for Text message sender and Caller name. When I receive a call or text message, it says "Incoming call/text from Person Name" and then the default ring/vibrate begins. Noticeably, with text messages I will get that notice and then it will be several seconds before the text message is actually visible and I get the regular notification tone.

However, when that Smart Action is no longer valid, the Voice Announce feature remains on. I can't find a way to turn it off.

I have gone through every single setting in System Settings. Caller ID Readout is set to Ring Only. Talkback is set to off, and within Talkback Speak called ID is unchecked.

Where is the setting for Voice Announce and how can I turn it off?!?!? I don't want to resort to MTeddy3's suggestion becuase I use the txt-to-speech for the navigation all the time.

bawoo49

Reaction score
Wow! I started a list today of problems I am having with my R-MAXX and "voice alerts" is at the top of my list. I can hardly believe I am not the only person having this problem. Hope someone will post a solution to our mutual problem!

Now, on to finding solution to my other issues. . . Best to all:)

MDTeddy3

Reaction score
Still trying ti help

David,
Sounds as if you have two issues going on. One is in your sound settings for incoming calls. Options are usually something like "ring only", "caller ID & then ring", and "caller ID repeat". These settings are under "accessability" in phone settings. Set it to ring only _ caller ID will still show up on incoming calls, it just won't SAY who's calling aloud. The other thing is about disabling the text-to-speech engine . Your navigation will still respond to your voice - mine does. You are disabling the component that converts texts to SPEECH, not voice-to-input. Your phone will still accept voice commands from you.

OK, I have been having this same problem for a few days now also. I have a DROID Razr running 4.0.4. I think I have identified the cause, but cannot figure out how to rectify it.

I recently enabled the Smart Action "Driving." This includes an action "Voice Announce" that is enabled for Text message sender and Caller name. When I receive a call or text message, it says "Incoming call/text from Person Name" and then the default ring/vibrate begins. Noticeably, with text messages I will get that notice and then it will be several seconds before the text message is actually visible and I get the regular notification tone.

However, when that Smart Action is no longer valid, the Voice Announce feature remains on. I can't find a way to turn it off.

I have gone through every single setting in System Settings. Caller ID Readout is set to Ring Only. Talkback is set to off, and within Talkback Speak called ID is unchecked.

Where is the setting for Voice Announce and how can I turn it off?!?!? I don't want to resort to MTeddy3's suggestion becuase I use the txt-to-speech for the navigation all the time.[/QUOTE]

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
@ Michael, THANK YOU!!! Your tip fixed my problem! No more talking phone.... unless I'm talking to someone on it. Your help is much appreciated. :hail: :biggrin:

David