How do I disable/get rid of Google Now?

AlexRs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 7
Hi there,

I'm currently running a Nexus 7 2013 model with android 5.0.2, and Google Now is absolutely killing the battery life of my tablet when it is idle. I recently factory reset the device to try and narrow down what was causing it, and after I opted in to Google Now again the battery consumption in idle easily tripled, going from about 1% every two hours or so to 2-4% every hour.

Considering that I use this tablet mainly for consuming media/reading/taking notes in lectures rather than as a phone, I get very minimal benefits from google now. On the other hand, waking up to 30% battery which will drain to nothing in a few hours because I forgot to put it on charge overnight completely screws me over.

So, my question is. How can I disable or delete Google Now without having to factory reset AGAIN and just never opting into it? Guides online have said to go into a menu through Google Now but the button they say to press doesn't seem to be there in this version of android.

My tablet currently isn't rooted, and since it's still in warranty I have no intention to do so.

Cheers,
Alex

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Alex

I currently have 5 Android devices and all have Google Now activated and available on any screen. I also have multiple battery use/monitoring apps and not one has indicated that Google Now is consuming any battery. There are Google Services that encompass a great many things that happen in the background but while sleeping my devices frequently use less than 1% battery in 6 hours. I think you may have another app or background services that is consuming the battery..

If when you did the factory reset you allowed Google to sync the apps back when you set it up I suspect one of those apps may be at fault, BUT, it could also be something as simple as a syncing mail app or other active widget

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum. I don't think you can delete GN, but you can disable it.

Try this:

From Google Now, scroll down and tap the menu button (three vertical dots), then choose Settings to get at the app's key options.
Toggle the switch at the top of the screen to turn off everything in Google Now in one fell swoop then confirm your choice on the subsequent dialog box. At the same time you also have the option to disable Location History. This feature lets Google monitor your location across all logged-in devices and adapt its services accordingly. Disabling it does not erase your previous Location History or turn off Location Reporting (i.e. where you are right now).

OP
A

AlexRs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 7
@leeshor No, I completely factory reset the device and reinstalled my apps manually. The battery consumption was perfect, I opted into Google Now, the battery consumption went back down to terrible. I have no clue why it's doing this on my device, but I was very careful to put all my important apps back on slowly to figure out if one of them was the culprit. They aren't.

OP
A

AlexRs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 7
@Jeffrey Thanks, but that is the exact advice which I can't make work. When I click on the settings option in the sidebar in Google Now I just get this (imgur the simple image sharer screen with the button you mention nowhere in sight.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can only say that even with location services turned on, which as @Jeffrey pointed out could be a problem, I am not seeing that and I have all the Now functions but everything syncs manually. I'm a stickler for getting the most from my battery. My phones typically get 40+ hours before needing a charge.

OP
A

AlexRs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 7
After a bit of fiddling about I managed to find the disable option. For some reason rather than being easy to find like in the guides, for me it's hidden down two menus and not even labeled as what it is (The option is to disable cards, and then when you press THAT it asks you in a popup if you want to disable the whole service.)

Not sure why it's so hard to find but egh, at least now I can properly test whether it is causing the problems without constantly factory resetting my device. Are there any particular battery monitor apps that work well without root that would help me with narrowing things down?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm glad you got to disable GN. Hopefully it will resolve your issue.