How do I delay going to voicemail?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sometimes outside noise drowns out my ringtone (set to max volume) so as soon as I realize it's ringing, I see a "Missed Call" icon. Shortly I get the voicemail from Google Voice.

I would like to increase the length of time the phone is ringing, but can't seem to find a setting in either Phone or Google Voice that'll allow me to do that. Is there one? I've done some searching, but can't seem to find anything.

gsDroid

Reaction score
Don't know if this can help you since your sig says you are unrooted, but the build.prop file in /system has a line that determines how long it takes for the ringer to start ringing. Default is 3 seconds (3000 ms) and can be changed to, say 1000 ms, so it would start ringing 2 seconds earlier before going to voicemail. The line is "ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=3000" and it is near the end of the file.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
He's running .902 unrooted - so no build.prop edits for the OP.

And OP, for your information the reason you need to be rooted to edit build.prop is that you need to be able to push a copy back to the /system folder, which is normally read-only.

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I found that on AT&T or Sprint Android phones dialing *#61# gives a number and the length of delay. Then if you dial *61*1yyyYYYyyyy*11*xx# and putting yourVoicemail# where yYy is and time where xx is will change the time. I thought something like that would be available for Verizon. Ah well.

I also see that on some sites they say if I call 611 they might be able to change it as it is a network thing. Default is 30 seconds. See http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/82397-rings-before-going-vm.html and https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/451030

Last edited: