how do i change my rom on my droid 1?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wvdroidman, Aug 30, 2010.

1. wvdroidman

wvdroidman New Member

I am wanting to change the rom on my original droid and was wondering what i needed to do to accomplish this.
    thank you
  2. Fr3sh2De4th

Fr3sh2De4th New Member

Are you rooted? If not, that is your first mission. There are several ways to root your device but I would suggest "Easy Root" at unstableapps.com . Its an app that let's you root/unroot your phone at the touch of a button :)

After that you should download rom manager (its in the market, & spring for the paid version if possible) & from there you will be able to download roms. (The paid verson comes with more roms, they aren't necessarily "better" than the free ones but are definate candidates for your rom until you find one that you like.

Hope I helped
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

i would NOT suggest easy root. yes, its quick, but theres a lot of issues when it is used. check out link 3 in my sig to root

from there, you need to install a recovery system, make backup, then install the rom
  4. Fr3sh2De4th

Fr3sh2De4th New Member

I've used it on my D1 & it worked w/o any problems. But I did find a couple of threads of people having problems with it & the droid X. But anyways like I said, there are SEVERAL ways to root your droid

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. wvdroidman

wvdroidman New Member

i'm rooted with ss4.4 running right now
  6. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

1st, make a nandroid backup in Recovery mode (just in case). 2nd, find the new ROM you want and download it. 3rd, move it over to your phone via USB transfer. If using SPRecovery, rename it update.zip.

(Alternate 2nd/3rd) If using ROM Manager, open it up and download the ROM you want. Install it and any other things it asks you yes or no to. (May not ask anything, depends on the ROM).

4th, once SPRecovery finishes, hit the power button till you see the option to reboot the phone.

Alternate 4th, just watch it.. CloclWorldMod pretty much just finishes the process for ya.
  7. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    There are a couple of ways to change your rom. First which recovery are you using??? SPRecovery or ClockworkMod. The answer to that determines what steps you need to take to change your rom.

If you are using SPRecovery >>> find a rom you want to try, download it to your computer, rename it "update", mount your droid, place the "update" file on the root of your sd card, unmount droid, boot into recovery and install.

If you are using ClockworkMod >>> find the rom you want, download it to your computer, mount your droid, place the file on the root of your sd card, unmount droid, boot into recovery, install zip, choose the zip you want to intall and go.

If you are using CWM and have ROM Manager (both paid and free) you can download and install from there. Just be sure to try to use WiFi when downloading so that you get a good install.

Remember before you install/flash anything make a backup!!!
  8. wvdroidman

wvdroidman New Member

ok I changed my rom to UD but I don't really like it as it isn't as customizable. Is Bulgess Beast any better or is there another one that is customizable and includes the ulv kernel?
  9. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    my suggestion to you is to keep trying ROMs also when you are flashing a rom check in the developer's thread to see what kernels they suggest. Also within the developers section they will list what themes are available that work with their rom. So with a little homework you can find a rom that will suit your needs with regards to themes and customization.
Search tags for this page

how to change rom in droid x