how come so many apps don't have a "quit" button?

Ridley

Reaction score
i don't know anything about designing apps, but how come so many of them require you to go to Setting>Applications>running services to force them closed? Why is an off button or a quit button such a difficult thing to include?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your Back button soft key closes out of an application, the one at the bottom of the screen. And if you press the Home button soft key exit an app, it leaves running in the background so you can pick up where you left off. Multitasking.

And also Android runs some programs in the background regardless

eliassami5

Reaction score
you dont need to close the application, it stays open and only closes when the operating system needs more memory.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Strange, I think someone needs to show you how to use your phone. I've never seen a program that you need to close the way you describe... lol

Some programs are different, some have an exit button, some you just either click the home key, or the back key. There is no reason to go to applications and end process....

Instead of all that, just close the program....and move on.

crspang

Reaction score
And one thing to remember this is NOT a windows mobile device. This android OS operates differently than windows and apps in the background generally aren't actually using resources. Occasionally there may be an app that you may need to kill but that is not too often.

gszeman

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed that also...I picked up a free app called Apollo Task Killer. It runs in the task bar and is a lot easier to kill tasks with it then to go through the menu. It has a few cool features on it like killing tasks x minutes after the screen shuts off, an ignore list for apps that you want to keep running (like "Lookout"). Anyways, I thought I'd mention it if you want to check it out, search for it in the Market.

Glenn

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed that also...I picked up a free app called Apollo Task Killer. It runs in the task bar and is a lot easier to kill tasks with it then to go through the menu. It has a few cool features on it like killing tasks x minutes after the screen shuts off, an ignore list for apps that you want to keep running (like "Lookout"). Anyways, I thought I'd mention it if you want to check it out, search for it in the Market.

Glenn

2 schools of thought there. One...kill tasks and it frees up memory. Two..keep killing tasks and if you need it again it takes longer to open because it isn't sitting there. The android system allows things to just sit there, they aren't harming anything. If something else needs some memory then the least used process gives up its slot for the new kid in town.

Killing the wrong process means the phone is going to keep restarting that process and actually slow your phone down. Also, if you use messaging a lot but shut it down when you are not using it then you have to wait for it to get ready to run again.

Up to you, there are a lot of threads here on this topic.

Btw...welcome to the forum!

gszeman

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out Chris...I guess coming from a windows mobile and a blackberry background I am eager to close out everything I can!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your Back button soft key closes out of an application, the one at the bottom of the screen. And if you press the Home button soft key exit an app, it leaves running in the background so you can pick up where you left off. Multitasking.

Thanks, I didn't know that. You learn something new every day here. :)

OP
R

Ridley

Reaction score
It's been my experience that a lot of these apps are using GPS and wifi to update themselves even when they are running in the background and that uses up the battery, I don't want apps comunicating with anything unless I'm actually using them, it's my preference to have them completely shut down and that does not always happen using the back button or home button.