1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How come Droids don't have a backup service like iCloud?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by apex2001, Feb 21, 2012.

1. apex2001

apex2001 New Member

title dido.
  2. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Well... pretty much all your important settings are backed up with your Gmail account. I'm not sure what iCloud backs up exactly but I'm sure Android does have a service that will back up whatever you need. What specifically are you wanting to backup?

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!
  3. apex2001

apex2001 New Member

I wanted to back up my home screen configuration and the other screens. I had to do a factory reset lately and My Backup Pro didn't work as well as i hoped it would. It didn't backup all the apps or the home screens. The app reinstallation wasn't very streamlined either. I had reinstall each one manually from the list in My Backup Pro.
  4. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Maybe once Google Drive is in gear (pun intended) there will be a better way to backup.
  5. Sal R.

Sal R. Member

Titanium backup Pro will do just that, sync your backup to Dropbox too, but you need root access.
  6. apex2001

apex2001 New Member

Yeah i've heard good things about Titanium Backup but is it worth it to root my phone? I don't even know how to root my phone. I heard there is risk of making the phone into a brick if it's rooted. Also, will Titanium work for recovering phone system on a new phone? Can it do an image back up?
  7. schatzy62

schatzy62 New Member

Let me tell you as an IT manager the sales people that have iPhones and iPads etc have made my life HELL with this iCloud thing. It DOES NOT work as advertised and is very very tempermental. And some of the things you are asking to back up are not backed up by iCloud. Even though iCloud documentation states it backs up device settings i have not been able to get it to work properly. I loose some random setting every time i try to restore a phone.

About the only thing that seems to work well is the photo part where you can get the photos on any devise very quickly. All the other parts such as videos, documents, iBooks, and App Data "REQUIRE" a wi-Fi connection to be able to cross connect them from device to device and it seems it can only do the backup to the iCloud Server once a day. i have never been able to get a document to be backed up twice in one day.

For Android devices the way to go is Titanium Backup. It will do everything you need for a back up, and as stated can save it to a DropBox account.

As for the rooting part if girlfriends 6 year old can do it you can to. As with anything there is a possibility of screwing it up but with the tools out there for the Droid X it is highly unlikely.
  8. Hmong_Xiong

Hmong_Xiong New Member

Everything is worth to root your phone!

Exactly said!

Motorola Droid 2: CyanogenMod 9
  9. 2THEXTRM

2THEXTRM Member

Sing it Schatzy62! LOL, I have suffered the same issues, icloud hasn't met the hype yet IMO. Tibu is my goto android app for many tasks, couldn't live with out it or Root Explorer and Dropbox

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  10. morcguy

morcguy New Member

There are lots of backup apps out there. iCloud is a scam, the free 5 gb is used up almost immediately and you have to pay for additional space.
  11. ConqSoft

ConqSoft New Member

Voiding your warranty (rooting) should not be required for this feature. Google needs to step up to the plate and make this built in and seamless.
  12. nikecar

nikecar New Member

Apple would sue if Google tried to market anything closer to iCloud than what it does now.
  13. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

+1.

Also, some corporate Android apps like Good will not work on rooted devices if the corporate sysadmin configures the servers to disallow rooted/jailbroken devices; and many sysadmins do that.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
Search tags for this page
android app backup to cloud
android equivalent to icloud backup
can you back up a droid to icloud

does android have something like icloud

does motorola droids have the i cloud
does the motorola droid have a back up like i-cloud
droidx verizon icloud app
how to backup photos to icloud from droid dna
icloud for droid x
icloud photos droid
titanium backup to icloud
verizon droid icloud
verizon icloud on samsung droid
what does verizon droid razor have like icloud?
what does verizon have comparable to icloud