How can OK google be added to non moto androids without making home screen

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Can OK google app be added to say lg g4 and not be made the home screen and still wake the phone with OK google. I use apex as my home screen but would still like the functionality of of OK google when phone is asleep ie OK google navigate somewhere hands free

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am pretty sure that OK Google Now functionality was added to Lollipop 5.X for any phone that has Lollipop. Here is one of the Lollipop "new features":

Take Lollipop's always-listening voice command system out for a spin.

Provided your phone or tablet supports it, you can now give voice commands anytime -- even when your device's display is off. The option to activate the feature is a bit buried: Head into your system settings, tap "Language & input" and then "Voice input," then tap the gear icon next to "Enhanced Google services" and look for a line labeled "'Ok Google' Detection." Tap it, then tap the line labeled "Always on" and follow the prompts to train the system to recognize your voice. While you're in that menu, think about whether you want voice commands to work even when your phone is locked with a pattern, PIN, or password; if you do, tap the line labeled "When locked" before you exit out.

Once you're all done, just say "Okay, Google" and your phone will start listening. You can then ask it a question or give it all sorts of commands and have it work for you whether it's in your hands or not.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The option for it to work even when the screen off seems to kinda come and go. Different brands might be different, but my Note 4 had the option for a while, then lost it. Can't remember if that coincided with the lollipop upgrade or not though.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I just got the LG g4 and added Google now and it works as good as my Droid maxx even when phone is asleep and locked and tworks from any app and home screen it is in the Google launcher settings

JiveTurkee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (T-Mobile)
The option for it to work even when the screen off seems to kinda come and go. Different brands might be different, but my Note 4 had the option for a while, then lost it. Can't remember if that coincided with the lollipop upgrade or not though.
It was fixed. I had to uninstall and reinstall but the option from any screen is available again. Google took it out temporarily

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I mispoke the launcher isn't working in sleep mode only if you dbl tap to wake screen anyone figured out how to have google now work while sleeping in g4

JiveTurkee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I mispoke the launcher isn't working in sleep mode only if you dbl tap to wake screen anyone figured out how to have google now work while sleeping in g4
See my post above.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Jive it works from any screen but sleep mode it won't wake phone I tried reinstalling like u mentioned but it didn't work any more suggestions?

JiveTurkee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Jive it works from any screen but sleep mode it won't wake phone I tried reinstalling like u mentioned but it didn't work any more suggestions?
I'm not familiar with LG droids. Sounds like it is a very deep sleep. Using any battery saving apps like Greenify or anything else?

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Ok Google just doesn't work when screen is off no special apps

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Not sure if it differences in phones, but I have OK Google working with Apex & screen off. Not sure if you need the pro key for Apex.
Make sure you have Hot Word detection on in Apex, Apex settings/Advanced settings & select OK, Google. Should bring you to this

Then select Google search settings, then select OK Google detection. You should be at this page now

Tapped from a Nexus 6

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I am using lg g4 stock home screen but own Apex pro and don't have it installed can I do what your saying but still use lg home screen? Also if anybody knows how to turn on hot word Detection on native lg g4 home screen when off let me know . it works on lock screen though just not when screen goes off

JiveTurkee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The latest update seems to have taken the ok Google with screen off out again. I give up

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2