1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How can I unroot to exchange Droid?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Liquid Fusion, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Droid Micro USB port is loose - won't charge. Have pblms getting over 5% charge. See here. Now Droid charge won't last at all.

How can I unroot to exchange Droid? Droid must be super clean or Verizon will charge full price if they determine phone was rooted. Option - buy standalone battery charger.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

If you can get it charged just sbf back to stock. Pete has the .sbf for that.
    If you can't charge it you can try flashing to an older froyo ROM and see if z4root will unroot or superoneclick.

sent from somewhere...
  3. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Used different USB cables and got charge happening. Charging slowly - 50% after several hours. Battery is possibly going bad. Original Droid. Need to get replacement battery. Any suggestions? Right now - if I can get the USB port to hold the USB cable the right way - all will be ok. Love this Droid and Bugless Beast.

Searched the net - found these:
    - Pete's .sbf back to stock
    - Instructions on how to get the Droid back to unrooted

Reading up fast. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. If I do have to unroot to excahnge phone, will phone be clean after? Any trace of being rooted? Pete suggests using RSDLite. Input / advice welcomed!! Hardware pblm - VZ ought to replace phone rooted or not. My 4 cents.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. Parter28

Parter28 New Member

If you connect the phone to the PC, will it see it? I just bought a bricked Droid for $20 and all I had to do was sfb back to 2.2, I don't think you need the battery in there to do it. If you can get it to connect, and maybe just hold the cable the right way, you might be able to sfb back to stock.
    Good Luck
  5. tommyg562000

tommyg562000 Member

Am I the only one who thinks ahead when I go to root my phone? I thought it would be common sense to research how to unroot and flash stock while learning how to root.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  6. DHO

DHO New Member

7. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Totally agree. So much energy goes into rooting a phone - breaking through that fear to the adventure of controlling your Droid with the amazing roms of developers like Peter Alfanzo / Bugless Beast - that a mechanical failure isn't anywhere on the hoirizon until it's dagger strikes.

Lost use of USB port. Gently nudging different USB cables doesn't get battery up charging anymore. Again possibly battery is dying. BP6x.

Bought external charger / replacement BP6X Battery. I'll have a working Droid. Have to access Droid via card reader (with adapter - which I already have). Don't think I can use RSDlite here. How can you unroot without USB connection? Good to know anyway. Input here welcome.

Just found out from VZ - if I activate a backup cell (not a Droid) I lose my 30.00 unlimited data plan. Can't do that. Also, if I suspend my plan, NE2 gets pushed back. No activating backup phone! No cell for now, in a few days, I'll have an ext batt charger / "new" batt for the Droid.

NE2 kicks in about the same time Droid Bionic is supposed to arrive - mid July. Take it from there.
  8. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Video -

Micro Port Repair - Things to consider

- Ebay - USB Port Repair Service - 50.00 + Shipping (to them) - Good Solid Feedback / 2000 miles away (AZ - NYC)
    - Portatronics - USB Repair - (99.00+14.50) = 114.50 - NYC repair stores / easy to get to / one year warranty of their work
    - Insurance - 100.00 deductable (lost Phone) - might send me a different model - love Droid 1

Too bad there's no video / DIY description - showing exactly how to replace / test a broken and /or loose Moto Droid Micro USB Port.
    I'm sure I can take apart a Droid from the video. How to attach / test the new micro usb port might be a different story.
  9. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

All ears.

Getting Droid ext battery / ext battery charger. How can I unroot with a charged battery - but no USB port?

z4root will unroot or superoneclick - here goes Google search!!
  10. Parter28

Parter28 New Member

You could alway sell your Droid for parts on ebay, and then buy a used one. The difference won't be much, and you'll still have a working phone. I know it's not what you asked, but the OG is really cheap on eBay.
  11. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Interesting idea. Droid to the chop shop!! Open the Droid and remove all the parts - sell the individual expensive ones. They do it to cars...dancedroid
  12. Parter28

Parter28 New Member

Yeah, I guess you could do that. What I mean though was to just sell it on ebay as broken, or for parts. People buy them for about $40-70. They also sell them for about the same price, you can usually find a used one for $70 or less if you're lucky.

I recently bought one with a bad ESN just to play w/ it. It was bricked, but everything worked. It came with a free BB Storm that also had a bad ESN, but I only payed $22.01 for it. I just bought it to play with it.

Sometimes ppl will buy bad ones just for the screen/digitizer. If you sell yours and then buy a used one, you'll probably end up investing $30 tops.

Good Luck.
  13. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

14. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

There's a zip file that can be flashed thru recovery and it takes your Droid completely back to stock, unrooted...if I'm not mistaken...
    signed_voles_frg22d_master_ota.zip , but don't have the link to it...

Think this is the updated link to unroot back to FRG83G ...http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...out-sbf-rsd-lite-droid-1-only.html#post827496

EDIT:...ahhh crud, I seee that you cannot charge your Droid and that's the issue... not sure if you could still do it or not...
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  15. DHO

DHO New Member

Just buy another droid on craig's list. And change the phone online. Should not affect your plan.

Easy and painless to backup everything to SD card and flash to new droid
  16. Mbk

Yeah ebay has spare batteries and standalone chargers for around under $10 from Hong Kong...I've bought two sets from a Hong Kong dealer off ebay and they both work great.

Other option is to find a friend that has a Droid as well and chrger your battery for you long enough for you to unroot and send it back to VZW

Edit: Also, I don't see why you couldn't flash that master OTA zip while you have your Droid plugged into the usb cable.....should run off AC via that USB
  17. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Getting all ducks lined up in a row.....

- Ordered new BP6X battery today / External charger.

- good idea

Droid Micro USB port doesn't work - data transfer / charging. Amazing - in 2 weeks (after working fine for under 2 years) it just collapsed. Possibly using the Droid extensively in the Docking cradle kept bending the Micro-USb port until it was blinking as Droid was charging indicating a breaking port.

Reading - Unroot 1 | Unroot 2 - says - with Clockwork Mod: Flash FRG22D file 1st, then rename the FRG83G patch file to "update.zip"

What about (when I have fresh battery) to get back to unroot - just install Pete's file - placed on sdcard root (card reader / adapter) - with Clockwork Mod in recovery?
    Is it necessary to flash FRG22D first then the "OTA UPDATES" as additional update install?
    Pete's File: VZW_A855_FRG83G_QSC6085BP_C_01.43.01P_SW_UPDATE .sbf

Think this was mentioned earlier
    Confused as to what .sbf to use.
  18. Mbk

if you use the master ota zip file then you won't need to use any sbf files with RSDLite...

also if you flash the frg22d and upon rebooting (you should then be stock unrooted), if you recieve the OTA message for frg83d and then frg83g, then you just accept those and let it flash them...

Edit:...so in other words try just flashing the FRG22D master zip only first...
  19. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Thanks.

Other thoughts - before flashing - wipe data / cache (reset to factory settings) / format boot / system / wipe dalvik cache / battery stats. Have Clockwork Mod. Then flash master OTA zip to get stock unrooted phone. No sign of root ought to be left. Right? 100% gone?

Thinking - 50.00 charge to fix the Micro USB port (Ebay) vs VZ playing the heavy calmly threatening a hefty 300.00 charge if they find any signs of rooting. I'm sure they know what to look for by now. Possibly many users have already returned rooted Droids and VZ's aware of the game - ready to strike back?

Ebay repair guy in AZ emailed back fairly fast with answers to my questions: Yes he does the work. No it's not warranted, but he has over 98% feedback, and none of his customers ever had pblms with his repairs. He creates a strong solder bond of the Micro USB port to the Droid. I'm itching to do it myself, but without specific Micro USB repair / replacement experience, I think it's better to have one who's been there before do the work. NYC does the same repair. Guaranteed one year. Cost = 99.00 labor + 15.00 Micro USB port. Expensive - but close by.

Post Office opens Tuesday. If I mail the Droid Tuesday to AZ, it will get there Thursday. Friday to fix the port. Return by the following Monday / Tuesday.

External battery charger + "new" replacement BP6X battery ought to arrive during the week. If I hold the Original Droid, I can unroot and test the waters with VZ exchange. But what if VZ's out of the Original Droid? Have to take what they send. Not sure if that's a good deal. Might be best to pay 50.00 and just get the Droid Micro USB port fixed. Continued solid use of my Droid One will let me wait until I'm sure there's a good replacement to take it's place. Pete's 0.3 kernels are swift and super great. Like to keep Bugless Beast alive. Super software.

NE2 starts 7/11. Bionic is "supposed" to be released the 14th. Not holding my breath.
  20. Mbk

You could buy a decent used Droid on eBay for that $50 repair+ shipping .......but I've unrooted and swapped out a few Droids already, both via sbf and the master ota zip, and VZW didn't notice ****....

Unroot and get your recertified Droid til the bionic comes....if for some odd chance VZW sends you some weird model as a replacement or voids your warranty because they say you rooted ( which i highly doubt), then you just get a used Droid off eBay for $70 bucks.....

All this will give you time for the bionic...;)
Search tags for this page

droid a855 unroot

have extended warranty what will my droid milestone be repla

unroot razr maxx to sell on ebay