How can I transfer my contacts from iPhone to Droid X?

Slothead

Reaction score
Subject says it all. I have found a few round-about processes but they all involve steps that don't apply to my situation. I'm using Windows 7 and my iPhone is a 3G running OS4. My Droid X still has the 2.1 OS as delivered last week.

Thanks,
Tom

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Copied from another thread:

everything is synced through Google so now is the time to create a Gmail account and load up your contacts there. Export your contacts to a .csv or vCard file from your Apple Address Book or whatever you're using on your old platform(s), then go to your Gmail account using a web browser and click on the Contacts link on the left side of the page. Click the "Import" link in the upper right corner of the page and point to your CSV or vCard file. Click the Import button and you're good to go. If you plan on using "Groups", make sure all your contacts are in Gmail's "My Contacts" first. Enter as much additional contact data as possible (physical addresses, email addresses, nicknames, etc.) because your DX's apps will be making good use of it.

When you start up your DX for the 1st time, it will prompt you to enter your Gmail Username and Password. After entering this info, if you have a connection, all your contacts will automatically get pushed from the Google cloud to your new phone.

If this is your 1st Android device, read through the User Guide and start playing around. Going from an iPhone to Android involves a learning curve, so give it a week or two and try not to get too frustrated. After you get used to Android, you'll wonder why you didn't make the switch sooner.

If you need help making a .csv file go to gmail and and settings. Look around in there for how to sync your contacts, you will find instructions on how to make csv files.

OP
Slothead

Slothead

Reaction score
Thanks hookbill. It was quite simple, and I had actually done it just a few minutes ago, but iTunes didn't work right the first time. This time it worked. My only concern now is how Gmail spies on EVERYTHING and so it will have lots of new data points to mine!

Copied from another thread:

everything is synced through Google so now is the time to create a Gmail account and load up your contacts there. Export your contacts to a .csv or vCard file from your Apple Address Book or whatever you're using on your old platform(s), then go to your Gmail account using a web browser and click on the Contacts link on the left side of the page. Click the "Import" link in the upper right corner of the page and point to your CSV or vCard file. Click the Import button and you're good to go. If you plan on using "Groups", make sure all your contacts are in Gmail's "My Contacts" first. Enter as much additional contact data as possible (physical addresses, email addresses, nicknames, etc.) because your DX's apps will be making good use of it.

When you start up your DX for the 1st time, it will prompt you to enter your Gmail Username and Password. After entering this info, if you have a connection, all your contacts will automatically get pushed from the Google cloud to your new phone.

If this is your 1st Android device, read through the User Guide and start playing around. Going from an iPhone to Android involves a learning curve, so give it a week or two and try not to get too frustrated. After you get used to Android, you'll wonder why you didn't make the switch sooner.

If you need help making a .csv file go to gmail and and settings. Look around in there for how to sync your contacts, you will find instructions on how to make csv files.

Phantom99

Reaction score
Another way

As of iOS4 the iPhone now supports google exchange. Sync your iPhone to make sure everything is up to date, set up google exchange in your mail settings on your iPhone and have it sync so it replaces/adds your contatcs to google. Go to Gmail make sure your contacts are there. Then go in into mail settings on iPhone and disable google exchange sync. Then when you start up your DX they will get automaticly get pushed to your phone. this is what I did and it worked great except for a couple duplicate entries that I had already manully put in Gmail.

OP
Slothead

Slothead

Reaction score
Wow Lorraine, you sure know how to find old threads! I haven't used my Droid X for years and am now back on an iPhone (having gone through a number of iterations of Droids). Thanks for your effort however. It's good when folks want to help.

Take care,
Tom

priscillabrian

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC
To transfer contacts from iPhone to Droid X. You can first transfer the contacts to your Google account and sync it on the Galaxy Note. Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. From the menu, hit the Info tab and from the syncing options select contacts syncing. In the drop down menu for Sync contacts with, select Google Contacts. Enter the same Google account you have from your Galaxy Note. Over on your Galaxy note, go into Settings > accounts and sync and select the Google account. With contacts box checked, hit the sync now button and wait for contacts to sync.

Last edited by a moderator: