How can I tell if my phone is activated?

slohcinbocaj

Reaction score
I just tried installing my first custom ROM this morning (UD10) with SPRecovery. The install worked fine but I assumed that since the install instructions said to perform a "wipe data\factory reset" that I would have to re-activate my phone. There are some handy features with the custom phone app but it unfortunately does not provide an on screen keyboard after dialing *228, so I couldn't activate. I was able to make an outgoing call tho.

What are the implications of an unactivated phone?

Is there a way to tell if my phone is activated?

If I make a nandroid backup with SPRecovery of an "activated" image, with that activation still be in place when I restore the backup?

What wipes (data, cache, etc) that I can perform from SPRecovery will cause me to have to re-activate the phone after the recovery?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
first thing when it boots up, it will prompt you to activate it.. so it sounds like you are good and don't have to.. you usually don't have to. i have only done it once going from droidmod to ultimatedroid

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I just tried installing my first custom ROM this morning (UD10) with SPRecovery. The install worked fine but I assumed that since the install instructions said to perform a "wipe data\factory reset" that I would have to re-activate my phone. There are some handy features with the custom phone app but it unfortunately does not provide an on screen keyboard after dialing *228, so I couldn't activate. I was able to make an outgoing call tho.

What are the implications of an unactivated phone?

Is there a way to tell if my phone is activated?

If I make a nandroid backup with SPRecovery of an "activated" image, with that activation still be in place when I restore the backup?

What wipes (data, cache, etc) that I can perform from SPRecovery will cause me to have to re-activate the phone after the recovery?

Like Sam said, if you can make a call you're activated. If you need to make double sure, dial *228 then open the keyboard and hit the 1 button. Other than that, I would let the Blackdroid guys know about this issue so they can remedy it.

OP
S

slohcinbocaj

Reaction score
Doh! Homer Simpson moment...

Use that handy keyboard that is hidden behind the screen... why didn't I think of that?

I can accept the fact that if I can make a call then I must be activated, but I am still uncertain as to how the activation state is stored on the phone. I am getting away from my original topic here somewhat but...

I started with stock 2.0.1 and let the stock OTA 2.1 upgrade the phone before I realized that I couldn't root directly from there. So I "recovered" the stock 2.0.1 using the sbf file, and applied the 2.1 rooted update using the instructions i found over on alldroid. One of those two actions (probably the first - sbf) caused me to have to re-activate. I made a nandroid backup of that clean, rooted, OTA blocked 2.1 state. I then tried the UD10, and then went back to the clean 2.1 image, neither of which apparently required me to re-activate.

I assumed that the nandroid images replace the entire ROM (I did see the options to recover data\cache\etc), just like using the sbf file only a different method but that obviously is not true. I am obviously new to this process so still trying to piece together all the information that I am reading.

I thought about posting to the UD10 thread about the missing on screen keyboard but there are already over 50 pages in that thread since yesterday, so hard to tell if someone already beat me to it.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Use that handy keyboard that is hidden behind the screen... why didn't I think of that?

I can accept the fact that if I can make a call then I must be activated, but I am still uncertain as to how the activation state is stored on the phone. I am getting away from my original topic here somewhat but...

I started with stock 2.0.1 and let the stock OTA 2.1 upgrade the phone before I realized that I couldn't root directly from there. So I "recovered" the stock 2.0.1 using the sbf file, and applied the 2.1 rooted update using the instructions i found over on alldroid. One of those two actions (probably the first - sbf) caused me to have to re-activate. I made a nandroid backup of that clean, rooted, OTA blocked 2.1 state. I then tried the UD10, and then went back to the clean 2.1 image, neither of which apparently required me to re-activate.

I assumed that the nandroid images replace the entire ROM (I did see the options to recover data\cache\etc), just like using the sbf file only a different method but that obviously is not true. I am obviously new to this process so still trying to piece together all the information that I am reading.

I thought about posting to the UD10 thread about the missing on screen keyboard but there are already over 50 pages in that thread since yesterday, so hard to tell if someone already beat me to it.

Pm the blackdroid directly......maybe he has a workaround.