How can I stop gingerbread install?

ryancoleman

Reaction score
My wife has a droid pro and it started and OTA download with no description other that "Updates". When it finished she said it asked to install android 4. something. From what I understand this is gingerbread, and thus far there is not a one-click root for gingerbread. She doesn't quite understand all of this so I can't do anything to it that she won't be able to fix, so flashing anything is out of the question. I will be leaving town for quite awhile so I need her to be able to unroot it on her own if she has to claim insurance on it. If she installs the update, will gingerbreak still root it? If not, how do I stop the install notifications? She needs to have it rooted because internet is virtually impossible to get where we live unless you want to pay ungodly amounts of money for it, so she uses it for wifi.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
She can use Root Explorer, Bloat Freezer, Titanium Backup Pro, ROM Toolbox or the like to freeze or delete the updater file. It should be updater.apk in the /system/app folder

Boot Manager

OP
ryancoleman

ryancoleman

Reaction score
Ok, so I can stop the install notification. If I go ahead and update to gingerbread, can I root it with gingerbread, or at least without flashing anything?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I can stop the install notification. If I go ahead and update to gingerbread, can I root it with gingerbread, or at least without flashing anything?

Yes, you can use Super One Click and root it.

Boot Manager

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
My wife has a droid pro and it started and OTA download with no description other that "Updates". When it finished she said it asked to install android 4. something. From what I understand this is gingerbread, and thus far there is not a one-click root for gingerbread. She doesn't quite understand all of this so I can't do anything to it that she won't be able to fix, so flashing anything is out of the question. I will be leaving town for quite awhile so I need her to be able to unroot it on her own if she has to claim insurance on it. If she installs the update, will gingerbreak still root it? If not, how do I stop the install notifications? She needs to have it rooted because internet is virtually impossible to get where we live unless you want to pay ungodly amounts of money for it, so she uses it for wifi.
Accepting the update will certainly get rid of the notifications. But, I'm not sure why she needs to be rooted unless you're talking about tethering for internet access. If that is correct, you'll have a problem being able to do that. From my understanding Verizon has "locked" that capability out even if you're rooted. A number of users have tried to get tethering to work after the update and root but have been unsuccessful.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Accepting the update will certainly get rid of the notifications. But, I'm not sure why she needs to be rooted unless you're talking about tethering for internet access. If that is correct, you'll have a problem being able to do that. From my understanding Verizon has "locked" that capability out even if you're rooted. A number of users have tried to get tethering to work after the update and root but have been unsuccessful.

Not sure about the Pro, but you could try flashing the Tether Patch. It works on DX and D2.

Boot Manager

OP
ryancoleman

ryancoleman

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the tips guys. If it won't be able to tether then I will delete the downloaded update. I read somewhere that deleting some of the bloatware, you won't receive the OTA OS updates. Is there any truth to this? I suspect there is because I have removed alot of the bloatware on my D2G and on a whim I checked for an update. It found one and downloaded it, but it says it won't install.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the tips guys. If it won't be able to tether then I will delete the downloaded update. I read somewhere that deleting some of the bloatware, you won't receive the OTA OS updates. Is there any truth to this? I suspect there is because I have removed alot of the bloatware on my D2G and on a whim I checked for an update. It found one and downloaded it, but it says it won't install.
Yeah its true. I know a couple of Pro users that moved or renamed files and didn't restore them before unrooting and the update would not install. It appears that the phone has to be in stock configuration before an OTA update from Verizon will work.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

You'll still receive the OTA OS updates even if you've removed some of the pre-loaded bloatware. You'll still get the update notification, and the update will still download, but it will fail to install.

OP
ryancoleman

ryancoleman

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I figured because that is what my D2G does. It will download, but won't install.

Last edited: