1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How can I set up routes on my Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Chris.Nelson, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Chris.Nelson

Chris.Nelson New Member

I have CM7 and OpenVPN installed on my Droid. I can establish a VPN tunnel and get an IP address from my office. In a terminal emulator, I can do
    Code:
    ssh user@10.x.x.x
    and log into my server. What I want to be able to do is
    Code:
    ssh user@host
    and also to click through links in e-mail notifications from our Trac system (e.g.,
    Code:
    https://trac.example.com/trac/ticket/1234
    ). I tried editing /etc/hosts but it seems to be on a read-only file system. How can I make my Droid know my hosts by name?
  2. harrumph

harrumph New Member

I think you are on the right track with /etc/hosts, it is just not letting you edit the file because /etc is mounted Read Only. You can su to root in Terminal then cp /etc/hosts /sdcard, then edit the /sdcard/hosts file with your internal info and save the file back to /etc/sdcard. Now use Root Explorer to mount /etc/hosts RW and copy your new hosts over.

It may be easier to just edit your hosts file with a root enabled file explorer like Root Explorer depending upon how big your hosts file is.