How can i save POP email on my phone?

PhilD

Reaction score
howdy - i have been looking without success for an email app that will let me download email from a POP server and store a copy on the phone. i currently use K9 Mail, which is a great program, but it does not let me store mail on the phone. is there an app out there that i haven't found yet that supports this feature? thanks, phil

LS&N

Reaction score
I have no suggestions for OP but want to subscribe for the answer that may come

I am wanting to store mail and tm threads on phone for when I am out of cell range and want some of the info in them

Thanks for whoever has the solution

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
howdy - i have been looking without success for an email app that will let me download email from a POP server and store a copy on the phone. i currently use K9 Mail, which is a great program, but it does not let me store mail on the phone. is there an app out there that i haven't found yet that supports this feature? thanks, phil

Touchdown might let you do that. That's the only email app that I know of.

If you were to run your pop email through gmail you would always have it in your labels.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
After using K-9 for months and months, I switched and am now using the Gmail app for everything. I went to my Gmail account of the pc and I added the pop3 accounts to be polled and then pushed to the phone. Gmail checks the pop3 accounts with a frequency determined by the account's activity. If there is a lot of email activity it will be checked more frequently. I have one pop3 account that is very active and it works out to almost instantaneous. About as soon as an email is sent, it is pushed to my phone. The other account does not have much activity and it gets polled about every 5 minutes or so.

Anyway by doing this, using the Gmail for everything, the emails stay on my phone until I delete them.

OP
P

PhilD

Reaction score
as best as i can tell, Touchdown only supports exchange accounts. there isn't a single reference to POP accounts in their installation or user guides. looks like a good program though.

after purchasing my first smart phone (Moto Droid 1), i had to forward all my email to GMail because the stock (2.0/2.1) email app was simply unreliable. i switched to K9 shortly after, which is very reliable but doesn't support local folders. i know i can use the label capability within GMail to sort my mail into "folders", but the mail is still stored on Google's servers which is a bit unsettling to me. not that i trust Verizon with my email either, but it already passes through their servers on delivery anyway :)

it would be really nice if one of these apps supported copying emails to SD...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Touchdown does support some non-Exchange mail servers (detailed on their site) but it definitely does not support POP.