How can I save my battery life?

lohgan

Reaction score
I am coming from a Blackberry Bold 9560 and to be honest I am really missing my Blackberry and regretting the change. So I decided to join a forum and see if I can change my mind and stick with my Droid 2.
The thing is my battery life is awful and like 52% of it is because of the display and I don't know how to help and or change that. I already changed the lighting down to the lowest setting.

leakim13

Reaction score
When ur in ur car... plug it in, when ur in your office... plug it in, when ur not moving... plug it in!

From the Great North Woods

OP
L

lohgan

Reaction score
I think I know how to charge my phone. I mean the fact that my battery keeps dying extremely quickly.

leonozug

Reaction score
My advice would be to use your power widgit and make sure wi-fi, bluetooth, gps, and sync is off. I use a bit of brightness but that's it. Do you have these off? It's something the people at Verizon should tell you to do when you buy a Droid but never do. If you've had these all on, that's a good reason your battery is draining.

OP
L

lohgan

Reaction score
My sync was on, what exactly does sync do?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, battery life will never be what it was with your Blackberry -- it's just the nature of the beast.

Good battery life for a D2 is anywhere between 12 and 20 hours per charge, depending on use.

I have an extended battery for mine, and I can go 12 hours with HEAVY use (constant gaming or e-mail writing), or 36+ hours with very light use (checking the phone once an hour for messages or e-mails). Naturally, display will and should be the biggest battery puller, as you have a relatively large touchscreen phone.

The Sync setting is what enables you to pull down e-mail and application information automatically as it happens. Turning it off will limit how you receive e-mail and information for your running apps.

What kind of life are you getting? How many hours? The 52% or whatever shouldnt make a difference, if you can make it an entire working day on a charge....

rolopez2011

Reaction score
You can underclock your phone. There is an app to overclock at the same 1Ghz speed but less voltage is used. Works for me

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

leakim13

Reaction score
I used to worry about bat life, I wasn't not trying to give a smart a$$ answer but I NEVER shut sync or anything off really... It defeats the purpose of having a phone that does everything that thus phone can do, so if I'm not moving my phone is on a charger (this is my 4th "smart" phone so I have a billion chargers). Turn ur display down, and just accept that this phone is a mini laptop and will never last a day on a full charge with you actually using the features that caused you to get this phone in the first place.

And saying heavy, moderate, light usage is totally relative, I would be shocked if my phone went more than 8hrs without having to charge. SHOCKED.

From the Great North Woods

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yea there's about 100 threads on this topic with about 1000 answers to it....if you want more than 8-12hrs with heavy use out of these its not gonna happen and that's rooted running a rom and underclocking it with an extended batt.......your just gonna have to deal with it like said above nature of the beast

Tapping To Talk

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
...make sure wi-fi ...... is off.....
I had read in many places that WiFi uses less power than 3G. We now leave WiFi enabled all the time on our two D2s and it certainly is no worse than before. I think the battery lasts longer now.

A lot depends on your signal. If you have good 3G and lousy WiFi, WiFi will use more power. The reverse is true of course. A good WiFi signal will use less power.

There are apps, like Juice Defender, which may help.

fishstick600

Reaction score
I leave wifi on all the time and leave my brightness to 25% have emails on push and everything else to like 3 hours. I get decent battery. If your phone is still fairly new it'll take a few day cor the battery to cycle through and hold a charge better

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk

only126db

Reaction score
The stock batteries have a low mah rating. Anything you do to keep juice in your battery will have so little effect its not worth it. Just keep a charger handy when using it for anything besides making calls. I do keep the wifi, gps and all that off when its not needed.

fishstick600

Reaction score
I beg to differ I'm at 17 hours and at 20% just keep your screen brightness down and don't use a task killer. Extended battery is awesome btw. . I've gotten around 36 hours

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, also remember that if you just got the device you are likely using the display a lot more than you will in the future (all the setting up, experimenting and playing with it). That said if you are a HEAVY user (tons of emails or calls ect.) yes it's going to eat power, there's a reason RIM has stuck with such tiny displays for so long.

That said sadly stock ROMs for most devices (Droid 2 included) SUCK and cooked ROMs generally provide much better battery life. If you like the phone other than battery life you may want to consider that option.