How can I play a recorded dvd on my droid1

line48

Reaction score
i have a movie i recorded to dvd. what format does it need to be in to play on my droid 1? if it can be done, do i need a special app to play it?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
The stock Droid app will play mp4 movies. With RockPlayer you can play many more formats.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i have a movie i recorded to dvd. what format does it need to be in to play on my droid 1? if it can be done, do i need a special app to play it?
Here are some basic steps:

(1) "Rip" the DVD. You may need a program that will transfer the movie from the disk to your computer.

(a) If you recorded the disk yourself, you can usually go right to the VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD, then look for a VOB file (a type of MPG) that is pretty large, 1GB or more. If there is only one file, copy it over to your computer. If there are several VOB files, try (b).

(b) The main option when you have multiple VOB files--or more importantly, a standard DVD movie--is that you rip it using a ripping program. A good option is DVD Shrink (freeware):

dvdshrink.org: FREE Backup Solution for your DVD movies!

A program like this will pull the video off your DVD quickly and easily.

(2) Next, you need to recode your movie. Given that Android devices prefer MP4 format, I would recommend Handbrake (also free):

HandBrake

Just install Handbrake, open it up, navigate to your VOB file that you copied or ripped, and select the "iPhone and iPod Touch" preset. Sit back and you'll have an M4A (equivalent to MP4) file in no time! I've done this on several DVDs and always get a clean result.

RockPlayer (on your phone) is a nice alternative that will play AVIs and other formats. If you go that route, you can use AutoGK to convert your VOB to an AVI (XviD) file.

-Matt