how can i make the volume control buttons silence everything?

fingaz

Reaction score
as you know.. when you press up or down on the volume buttons... only the ringtone volume is raised or lowered. I want to make it so that if i press the down button, ALL sounds are silenced, not just the ringer volume. of course.. I want to always have the volume on calls to be as loud as possible.

The only way to silence something (like music/media) is to start playing a song.. then press the down button. (of course I can just go into settings... but that just takes more steps).

Is there a hack to do this? Sorry if this has been

hlaalu

Reaction score
I'm curious too. I was in class, thinking my phone was on silent and I started up a game and it was blasting the music lol

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not a solution, but a workaround.

If you open the Phone app, and use the volume toggles, you'll notice that the media volume changes..... So rather than having to get into settings or start a song, you can just open the phone app and turn the volume all the way down.

synaptyc

Reaction score
Mute v1.1.15

Just search for VOLUME in the market. There is one that places a 1x1 widget. it will mute EVERYTHING. The app is called "MUTE" =)

Mute v1.1.15 Application for Android | Tools
Mute v1.1.15

Touch icon and put the phone on silent mode, touch again and back to previous profile. Mute all (ringer, audio/video players, notifications ...) except alarm.
Put application shortcut on wallpaper to quick switch MUTE ON/OFF.
Localized to: DE,GR,PL,FR,IT,JP,ZN
Add French language, thanks to Laurent.

was developed for Android by Marko Mitic

Package name : muter.muter

System permissions : This application doesn't need special permissions

OP
F

fingaz

Reaction score
- Opening the phone app just lowers the ringer volume. I can do that already from any screen.

-The mute program works pretty good, except when i turn the Mute off, my sounds are still muted. Not the biggest problem in the world... cause really.... Im trying to get everything muted it so it doesn't go off. I can turn everything back on manually when i need it.

- I downloaded a widget called Audio Manager. This is s 1x4 (tall x wide) program that sits on the screen. it shows the volume levels of the 5 different types of sounds.... Alarm, Music, Alerts, Ringer, System, Voice. With this I can easily see if the Music (media) volume is all the way up... but the volume is down. This way I have no suprises, like you in class, hlaalu.

So i guess with these two apps, im satisfied for the moment. but if i find something better, Ill post it here. Thanks.

synaptyc

Reaction score
Well. there is an app called VOLUME WIDGET v1.2.
It allows you to setup 3 different profiles, so you could set one for max, medium, and mute.
Then add the widget that comes with it and just toggle between the settings.
I can't install it because I upgraded my Eris to 2.1 and can't see it in the market =(
But here is a link that describes the app.
Volume Widget v1.1 Application for Android | Tools

can someone download, back it up, and email it to me? I sure would appreciate it =)
[email protected]

OP
F

fingaz

Reaction score
Synaptyc:

Idk how i can download and send it. I have only downloaded stuff from the market... not on my PC and then upload it.

Why can't you scan the qr code and dl it?

synaptyc

Reaction score
If i scan a QR code from the Androlib.com site it directs me to the built-in Market within android. Androlib.com is just a listing for apps in the market.

To make a backup of an app: download an AppManager ( HERE )

OP
F

fingaz

Reaction score
I guess i still am confused... you want the app... when you scan the qr code.. it links you to the app market and then asks if you want to download the app.

can you not download the app from the market?

synaptyc

Reaction score
lol.... no.
I upgraded from android 1.5 to the leaked version of 2.1
After the upgrade, some apps don't show up in the market until 2.1 becomes official.
Hence, when i search for "volume widget" (or scan a QR code) it doesn't show up in the list for me to download.
That is why I need someone with the stock 1.5 OS to download it, back it up, and email it to me =)
Understand now?
(i should have made a backup of all my apps before i upgraded to 2.1 but i didn't)

synaptyc

Reaction score
nope. that is the wrong app. That one is called "Volume Control v1.32" and doesn't even have a widget. Thanks for the effort though :)

OP
F

fingaz

Reaction score
hmm... I have the volume widget downloaded.. but the APP manager seems to only manage APPS.. not widgets too. When i open up the program... all i see are apps there and no widgets.