How can i keep a ROM feeling Smooth?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by BrUhNiGGs, Sep 28, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Is it ideal to wipe dalvik cache or something from time to time as with every rom i use including SS, it gets laggy overtime, less snappy, and it doesnt feel as smooth as when i first flash it. So what could i do to fix these issues and make a rom feeling brand new again
  2. rkpeterson

rkpeterson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fix permissions and wipe dalvik once a week makes mine run smooth.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    I just reflash. But I'm anal. I also wipe my computer every 6 months....
  4. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    Twitter:
    JSM9873
    +1 on the reflash

Glad to see someone else utilizes a similar practice, I usually just experience a backlash when I suggest it lol. Too much work for people to set everything back up I suppose. The computer I do not do though, thats all you.
  5. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So far SS5.5 has been the only rom I haven't needed to reflash to keep running well. Just an occasional dalvik wipe, cache cleaner running every night, and a fix permissions every once in a while and its running great.

6. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I just did a fix permission and wiped dalvik using RZRecovery. And i got a bootloop.. I even restored with the backup i made before wiping. And i still got a bootloop. So i had to reflash and do everyyyything again...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. overtwo

overtwo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you're are tweaking settings, flashing kernels, themes, tweaking OOM/RAM settings then I would suggest not to doing that anymore. As soon as you flash, then restore your apps (without data) then leave it alone. Leave it as stock as possible since developers already put a lot of time into finding the best settings for our OG.
  8. flyinion

flyinion Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know about others but I seem to have fixed my lag by disabling compcache. With it on, without a reboot right before (even with daily reboots) Angry Birds for example would bog down and eventually hang. This was whether I was running 800Mhz LV or the stock 1Ghz LV kernel. Turning off compache a day ago, not rebooting since, has resulted in minimal temporary lag in Angry Birds (just using it as a reference point) and the phone overall has seemed snappier. I may try turning it back on and do a dalvik wipe to compare. I guess though if running compcache means daily reboots and weekly cache wipes and not running it means similar good performance but no reboots and wiping, disabling it might win out for me.
  9. overtwo

overtwo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    compcache = garbage.

I would recommend partitioning your SD for SWAP space and running Swapper2. Be sure to tell Swapper2 to use your SWAP partition as it defaults to using a SWAP file instead since some people don't know how to partition a SD.
  10. googlelover

googlelover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Heres something I've never seen someone suggest, go back to clockwork mod recovery, the difference in chevys rom for some reason is night and day, I first flashed chevys rom using CWM and it ran like a dream, then I switched to RZR recovery and flashed a few different roms, but when I went back to chevys it was like a completely different laggy, buggy rom. First I tried reflashing, changing supercharger values, and pretty much anything I could think of that might improve speed. Nothing. Then I decided to try to go back to CWM and see if it made a difference. Running as smooth as any rom I have ever flashed now. Don't know why my phone works that way or if its something different with the recoverys but its worth a shot, right?
    Btw no compcache on, no swap on, supercharger values on aggressive 2, with chevys stock kernel.
    Overtwo you are supposed to tweak settings on your phone, if you haven't noticed all phones run things differently, so what works perfectly on the devs phone could be a laggy buggy mess on yours, tweak all the settings in your phone to what you want and what makes YOUR phone run the best.
  11. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +55
    A reboot always works for me
  12. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Figured id chime in again with my settings. I've got it set with compcache at 18%, vm heap at 40mb's, I regularly clear my dalvik, I have a 1250 ulv kernel set at 250-1100, have cache cleaner ng set to clean everyday, JIT enabled, surface dithering enabled, lock home and messaging, have all big apps moved to sd, and its always been so smooth. Way better then when I've tried supercharging it. Also installed through cwm.

13. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Is it bad to move all my apps to my sd card? except for obviously my home launcher. And doesnt surface dithering reduce performance and cause lag?
  14. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thats the thing. I dont get all that SWAP stuff. I just dont understand it at all. And what does partitioning an sd card do anyways.
  15. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    In terms of surface dithering, I've never noticed a performance drop but I have noticed increased picture quality. As to a swap partition, its a partition on your sd card that allows swapper2 to operate at an increased efficiency and allows your swap partition to act more like ram. I've never had good results with it and have has compcache work great so I'm not the one to ask I guess.

Edit: and swap is a space on your sd card that programs cache data, similar to page file on windows.

Search tags for this page

android gets laggy over time

enable surface dithering stock droid x

incredible 2 smoothest rom

kick ass kernel
kickasskernel
nitro lag nullifier