how can i get gingrerbread back, webtop 3.0 is a joke

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If you guys install the new ics leak 215 it now brings the chrome browser that works great with webtop. It looks and feel like chrome for your regular pc. Sadly no flash but a much better browser.

You don't have to install the leak to get Chrome. It can be downloaded from the Play store as long as the OTA ICS update is installed.

Graymayre

Reaction score
Chrome works on all ICS build versions. For those with Bionics who only have the leaks to work with, you can use it with the 232 leak if you aren't ready to get tied down with the 235 update.
Yes, chrome is a valid competitor now as a Browser. Just the ability to sync tabs and bookmarks with your Google account make utilizing it across multiple devices seamless and easy.
I was diehard Dolphin for android and Firefox for everything else before i gave Chrome a second try.

Droid Bionic ICED 232

Exalted911

Reaction score
You don't have to install the leak to get Chrome. It can be downloaded from the Play store as long as the OTA ICS update is installed.

I know this, what I am not sure about is if the chrome browser that comes with 215 leak is intergraded into webtop. I played around with it yesterday and it looks like once you use it on webtop its a full browser. now I never installed or used the chrome browser with webtop before so I am not sure if its the same thing. PS I tested some websites that use flash and it seems to be working fine with the chrome browser and webtop.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I know this, what I am not sure about is if the chrome browser that comes with 215 leak is intergraded into webtop. I played around with it yesterday and it looks like once you use it on webtop its a full browser. now I never installed or used the chrome browser with webtop before so I am not sure if its the same thing. PS I tested some websites that use flash and it seems to be working fine with the chrome browser and webtop.

It works the same way as downloading Chrome from the market on the OTA. The leak doesn't have a special version. The difference you're seeing is because, like with many Google apps, the UI is slightly different in tablet mode. Since Webtop is now the tablet version of ICS, Chrome will display like it does on a tablet, which is far more like a desktop browser.

dperreno

Reaction score
So I downloaded both Dolphin HD and Chrome to see if either one would do me better than the stock ICS browser on Webtop. Dolphin HD is pretty good, and I can even use my bookmarks using Xmarks, though I have to jump through a small hoop to use them. Chrome seems to work ok as well, however, it does not run Adobe Flash, which is a huge drawback. I still preferred the Firefox approach: Flash worked, Xmarks worked, and I could run the browser in a window and do my texting in the phone view. Give me the ability to "window" in Webtop for ICS and I'll probably be satisfied.

Reaction score
Same exact gripe here

I need any avalible option to get rid of ics or just webtop 3.0. I dont care for how smooth or how much memory gets used, had i known i was going to loose all my pc functionality i would have never updated. Also my keyboard now seems to have gone full gobblygook in webtop mode by typing numbers and characters instead of letters, it also doesnt delete properly. But that is nothing compared to loosing the ability to watch tv shows on the web (yes i reinstalled flash, 99% of sites that worked with 2.0 are still a no go on 3.0), webtop 2.0 was really the one and only reason why i bought this phone in the first place. Now its like im stuck with my old iphone in my droids body now. I need any option to get rid of ics. Factory reset? Some sort of jailbreaking? (deleted text) I dont care if i loose every piece of info or every app. I just want this tablet/iphone gone and my mini pc back, at any cost.

I used to be able to trick Hulu+ into thinking I want using an Android device because if the Firefox browser, now, can bi longer watch Hulu. Luckily I have a 2nd line with a Bionic & docking station for that also. Other than websites that don't like Android devices in general, there is a fix to get your Razr to play ALL flash content. Get the Dolphin browser from the Google play store & go to adobe.com & reinstall flash player. Congratulations, you cash now listen to those radio stations & go to YouTube desktop site & play ALL if those videos. That includes that Southpark website to watch all of those videos too! Yeah, the webtop 3.0 still sucks, but at least your phone will no longer be an iPhone clone when not docked! What I'm pissed about also is there's an app (Razr Dock) that eliminates the need for a docking station. It only needs your HDMI cable & NO ROOT! When you connect your phone to your tv, ask the same webtop options pop up and when you choose webtop, that beautiful Webtop 3.0 (cough) pops up just as you previously set it up before. The Smart Controller is AWESOME! Get it. It doubles as a phone & a mouse when your phone is connected to the tv. Best $100 I ever spent.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same exact gripe here

I need any avalible option to get rid of ics or just webtop 3.0. I dont care for how smooth or how much memory gets used, had i known i was going to loose all my pc functionality i would have never updated. Also my keyboard now seems to have gone full gobblygook in webtop mode by typing numbers and characters instead of letters, it also doesnt delete properly. But that is nothing compared to loosing the ability to watch tv shows on the web (yes i reinstalled flash, 99% of sites that worked with 2.0 are still a no go on 3.0), webtop 2.0 was really the one and only reason why i bought this phone in the first place. Now its like im stuck with my old iphone in my droids body now. I need any option to get rid of ics. Factory reset? Some sort of jailbreaking? (deleted text) I dont care if i loose every piece of info or every app. I just want this tablet/iphone gone and my mini pc back, at any cost.

I used to be able to trick Hulu+ into thinking I wasn't using an Android device because of the Firefox browser, now, I can no longer watch Hulu. Luckily I have a 2nd line with a Bionic & docking station for that also. Other than websites that don't like Android devices in general, there is a fix to get your Razr to play ALL flash content. Get Dolphin browser from the Google play store & go to adobe.com & reinstall flash player. Congratulations, you can now listen to those radio stations & go to YouTube desktop site & play ALL of those videos. That includes that Southpark website to watch all of those videos too! Yeah, the webtop 3.0 still sucks, but at least your phone will no longer be an iPhone clone when not docked! What I'm pissed about also is there's an app (called "Razr Dock") that eliminates the need for a docking station. It only needs your HDMI cable & NO ROOT! When you connect your phone to your tv, all the same webtop options pop up and when you choose webtop, that beautiful Webtop 3.0 (cough) pops up just as you previously set it up before. The Smart Controller is AWESOME! Get it. It doubles as a phone & a mouse when your phone is connected to the tv. Best $100 I ever spent.

Last edited:

bikerjay

Reaction score
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Just want to be clear about this thread mentioned earlier:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-hacks/214902-downgrade-902-no-app-data-loss.html

THIS WILL NOT WORK ANY VERSION OF ICS PAST 232, THIS INCLUDES ALL 235+ BUILDS OF ICS.

Trying to use the HOB (house of bionic) to roll back to 902 if you are 235+ may brick your phone and samauri will be pissed if you ask for help after doing so.

Once you are 235 + there is no rolling back to ginger bread you are stuck. There probably never will be a way unless we get an unlocked boot loader which will probably never happen.

Sorry for the CAPS i am new here but a brick action seems serious.

Yes i am running 246 on my bionic thanks to house of bionic and SamauriHL. I like it a lot. i have never used any version of webtop but I am interested in it. It would be great to have a cheap lapdock if there is a way to get a desktop grade browser with full flash that is never detected as a mobile browser. Suunds like dolphin might do this. If so that is great.

My plan B is to keep looking for a 7 or 10 inch touch screen that has hdmi input and a driver less usb digitizer. It would be sweet. If this new webtop is a tablet emulator atouch screen is probably better than keyboard and mouse. On the other hand typing sure is nice on an actual keyboard.

The ideal would probably be to add a digitizer with usb output that needs no driver to the stock webtop screen and simply populate a usb plug with it. This would be one heck of a hack.