how can i get gingrerbread back, webtop 3.0 is a joke

icssucks

Reaction score
I need any avalible option to get rid of ics or just webtop 3.0. I dont care for how smooth or how much memory gets used, had i known i was going to loose all my pc functionality i would have never updated. Also my keyboard now seems to have gone full gobblygook in webtop mode by typing numbers and characters instead of letters, it also doesnt delete properly. But that is nothing compared to loosing the ability to watch tv shows on the web (yes i reinstalled flash, 99% of sites that worked with 2.0 are still a no go on 3.0), webtop 2.0 was really the one and only reason why i bought this phone in the first place. Now its like im stuck with my old iphone in my droids body now. I need any option to get rid of ics. Factory reset? Some sort of jailbreaking? (deleted text) I dont care if i loose every piece of info or every app. I just want this tablet/iphone gone and my mini pc back, at any cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

dnyc

Reaction score
totally agree
i bought a moto to have a laptop/PC emulator - and it used to be one, even though it was a bit buggy - and i hoped ICS would have the bugs fixed
instead, they pulled the rug out from under us - now it's just a tablet emulator - totally useless
i like ICS on my phone, but ready to root and go back to GB if possible just to get webtop back, unless someone can find another way
anyone who agrees should get over to the motorola support site and complain so they see enough people are pissed off to do something for us in the next update
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/df5bddc692
otherwise moto should give me my money back for the phone, HD dock, and webtop adapter - they advertised and i paid for a laptop experience, and then they took it away and gave me a tablet

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
At present, I believe there is NO KNOWN WAY to revert to previous versions of the OS, such as Gingerbread because the Kernel was replaced as part of the upgrade and there is no way other than via an OTA downgrade (don't hold your breath), or unlocked bootloader (again...don't hold your breath) to revert to the prior Gingerbread based Kernel. Unfortunately in your case(s) you're stuck.

Last edited:

xm1

Reaction score
I thought you could fxz back to .902 then update ota from there. thats what i read here before flashing this.

icepick method

Reaction score
I would revert if i could too. Can't stand all the lost functionality in this gimped version of webtop. Thumbdrives that used to work in the usb ports are no longer recognized. The esc key on my lapdock opens the damn voice seach now?! None of the F1-12 keys do anything, file browser is gone, can't run adblock or noscript, ctrl and alt do nothing. All the options are hidden or gone like babies first iphone, wouldn't want me to hurt myself. You need to use both hands to access the ****ty tablet options in the browser and can't even use the side scroll bar because the tablet menu pops up over it.

I'd trade random memory issues over this castrated version of webtop any day. Are people still working on linux or ubuntu versions for lapdocks? Right now my only saving grace option is remote desktop.​

Last edited by a moderator:

altbrian

Reaction score
I like ICS for my phone, but absolutely hate that I am stuck with this new webtop 3
I never, repeat NEVER had any of the 'buggy' issues that others have complained about in regards to the old webtop.
I called Verizon who directed me to Motorola.
After almost an hour on the phone, the best they could manage is "Sorry your HD Station no longer works like it used to."
I bought it because it was a full desktop version of Firefox.
Gone.
Along with the bookmarks and add-ons.
Why would Verizon/Motorola think for even a second that people would want to downgrade from a desktop emulator to a tablet emulator?
All I want is the option to pick either the old webtop version or the new one when I dock.
Just make it one of the options along with gallery, music and mirror modes......

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
Actually there is a way to get back on Gingerbread. Sell your Razr and buy a Droid 3, or a X2.

icepick method

Reaction score
More things that don't function anymore, forward slash doesn't open text search, double/triple click doesn't select text. In remote desktop there's no more fullscreen mode, what with ctrl and esc no longer functioning as menu and back keys there'd be no way to get back to the desktop aside from alt+tab. Forget trying to edit a post on this forum, you can't put the cursor where you want and all the arrow keys plus home/end just scroll the screen. What a non-functional nightmare.

gamedog0425

Reaction score
I'm a noob to this but are you guys talking about the browser on ics if so yeah it sucks and it keeps freezing up on me I just installed the dolphin browser and I works better and smoother then the one on ics

cbreze

Reaction score
Wow, so many people having a bad time with ICS. Glad I stuck with GB. Anybody check eBay for a GB rooted maxx? I wonder what I could get for mine Ha, I could never part with this device. It is mostly perfect. Best phone ever actually. I hope you folks needing help get somelove soon, or at least a hug.

Last edited:

cbreze

Reaction score
I'm a noob to this but are you guys talking about the browser on ics if so yeah it sucks and it keeps freezing up on me I just installed the dolphin browser and I works better and smoother then the one on ics
Boat or boat mini is also good.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Someone posted earlier in another part of the forum that they tried to go back to GB from ICS and they bricked their phone. It's not possible ... *YET* ... but the bootloaders are different.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think there will be a webtop hack before too long . i too am not a fan of 3.0 . i have the bionic i still have option to stay on GB.. debating it right now

jtc303

Reaction score
MattyP said:
What exactly is "Webtop"? Just curious. :)

I'm assuming it's another word for browser... sounds English