How can I get a Droid X at a reasonable cost?

GunnySpook

Reaction score
OK, here's the deal:

I dumped my iPhone 3GS (and especially AT&T) when the Droid was released last November. Now I want an X. BUT....

Because I'm only 8 - 9 months into my 2 year agreement with V., I'm not elegible for any kind of upgrade or even discounted pricing, according to V. cust service. My only choice would seem to be to add another line (don't want/need to do this) to get a new X with a new 2 year agreement.

All I want to do is upgrade the phone, transfer my number (and existing agreement, although I don't mind extending the current one to two more years) and get a new phone.

Am I truly "locked out" of any changes (as V. says) until 2011?

If that's true, that really sucks!

Anyone got any secrets or ideas?

Thanks!

The Gunny

Signum

Reaction score
OK, here's the deal:

I dumped my iPhone 3GS (and especially AT&T) when the Droid was released last November. Now I want an X. BUT....

Because I'm only 8 - 9 months into my 2 year agreement with V., I'm not elegible for any kind of upgrade or even discounted pricing, according to V. cust service. My only choice would seem to be to add another line (don't want/need to do this) to get a new X with a new 2 year agreement.

All I want to do is upgrade the phone, transfer my number (and existing agreement, although I don't mind extending the current one to two more years) and get a new phone.

Am I truly "locked out" of any changes (as V. says) until 2011?

If that's true, that really sucks!

Anyone got any secrets or ideas?

Thanks!

The Gunny

you're out of luck.

coondogg97

Reaction score
With the exception of the early upgrade that AT&T is offering now for the iPhone 4G, they operate the same way. I assumed all wireless companies operated this way. That's why I try not to sign more then a one year contract.

The only other way to get an X is to buy it without a contract. And that can be a bit pricey. There are a bunch of DXs on eBay already, thats another option. :)

OP
G

GunnySpook

Reaction score
you signed a 2 year agreement and got discount pricing as an incentive for that commitment.

I understand (and agree). That's why I said that I am completely willing to *extend* my agreement to cover the new phone.

The Gunny

diverbelow

Reaction score
you signed a 2 year agreement and got discount pricing as an incentive for that commitment.

I understand (and agree). That's why I said that I am completely willing to *extend* my agreement to cover the new phone.

The Gunny

From reading other people posts, that their next renewal date was late next year, they called Customer Service, and explained to them that they really wanted the Droid X and will renew for another 2 years, and the rep change the date so they can buy the Droid X at the discounted price.

sic0048

Reaction score
Can you upgrade after 12mo on a 24mo plan and get the lower price (ie $199) by signing a new two year contract? You obviously don't get any "New Every Two" discount, but I thought you could at least get the lower price.

Is this wrong?

If not, then in 3-4 more months you'll be able to get the new phone at the lower price. If you cannot wait that long, then it looks like full retail, or buying it off EBay/Craigslist, etc is your best option.

drunkalien6

Reaction score
What i did is the following.

Since i have a 450 minute plan, which i pay $105 a month for ($40 for minutes, $30 for data, $5 for text, and another $30 for tethering). I am adding a line and going to a family plan, and switching so now i am going to be paying $165... But wait only for one month, i will be buying a cheap dumb phone (You can find them for less than $20 on eBay)to replace my BlackBerry Storm making it $105 a month. Since i will be able to remove the old data plan, and tethering fee (Will just use some 3rd party application for that now, all the tethering applications for BlackBerry just suck frankly).

So now i will have 2 lines of service that share 700 minutes (Before i only had 450 minutes that a few times i went over). And i will sell my old phone on eBay.

So ultimately what i recommend you do is. Add a new line for $9.99 (Keep in mind if you are on an individual plan right now it will probably more to add a line). Buy a dumb phone, or if you have one already that's compatible with Verizon use that. Replace your original Droid with a dumb phone and kill you old data plan on that line. Then sell you old Droid on eBay (They sell for $200+ but since this phone is out now it may not sell for that much).

If there are typos to bad :p

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I called VZW via 611 and was told that I could upgrade now. I got a call back an hour later saying they made a mistake and that I'd be eligible for upgrade next month. I'm not sure why I'll be elig next month and not now. I'm not sure why I'd be eligible next month instead of November (when I should be eligible for an annual upgrade without the extra NewEvery2 discount). I guess we'll see what they say when I call them back next month.

I won't be mad at them if they won't let me upgrade. I knew what I was getting into when I signed up for 2 years. However, if they're willing to offer me an opportunity, I might be foolish not to take it.

bass_lover1

Reaction score
My sister got an X today, one year into her contract. She said that they let her upgrade for the 199 price +20 bucks for only being 1 year into the contract. Now, I don't know if that's because she was upgrading to the X or if that's something they do normally.

Though, since you started your two year contract with the Droid (Novemberish), then you're still a few months out from this option.

kgregg

Reaction score
Several of us are in the same boat.... just a few months into 2 yr contract with original droid (i got my the first day it went on sale in nov 2009.) local vzw store said i could buy x for msrp ($589 or so). I said "no thanks". I'm hoping vzw will do something to make it easy/affordable for current droid owners to move up to the X. Gotta have the X!

Kevin

xRITE AIDEx

Reaction score
Several of us are in the same boat.... just a few months into 2 yr contract with original droid (i got my the first day it went on sale in nov 2009.) local vzw store said i could buy x for msrp ($589 or so). I said "no thanks". I'm hoping vzw will do something to make it easy/affordable for current droid owners to move up to the X. Gotta have the X!

Kevin

Dont hold your breath bud, this is the top of the line product dancedroid

cnul8rguys

Reaction score
wirefly.com

itll let you upgrade or extend your contract. i did this when i got the moto droid

OP
G

GunnySpook

Reaction score
The rest of the story........

So I started all this "quest" this morning by calling cust service. Got absolutely nowhere, but they were nice and polite about it. Bottom line, I would have to wait until Jan or pay full retail.

Phase 2, I call a V store nearby, and got a young lady who used words like "we can be creative". I immediately determined it would be worthwhile to talk with her face to face. (it was!)

Anyway, she found a broadband modem in my account (it's an embedded modem in a Lenovo laptop I've got) that wasn't on an agreement. She put that modem on a 2 year agreement (costs stayed the same, and I would be using it anyway), got the X for $149 (an extra promo she uncovered for "upgrading" the broadband modem), and replaced the X into my existing agreement that started with the Droid original! Then 25% off on all accessories, and I'm a happy camper!

Thanks for all the suggestions - you folk helped me keep the faith that there *WAS* a solution to this!

The Gunny