How can I disable Verizon's Backup Assistant?

kimberlyr

Reaction score
In the app itself, there are no options to disable it the "recurring sync" and the Verizon website is no help at all.

I don't use it and although I can kill it on Watchdog, it just restarts whenever I reboot my phone.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

OP
K

kimberlyr

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Not only am I not able to uninstall it but I can't even do a "force stop" via the Settings > Running applications menu.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
As with any bloatware w/o rooting you're SOL. Now if you are rooted you can uninstall it by either renaming the .apk or by using something like Titanium Backup to either 'freeze' the program or forcefully remove it.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Have you checked in your accounts section of the menu. menu>settings>accounts & sync. Check to see if the backup assistant is one of the accounts. If it is, you should be able to uncheck or disable it there. I'm on a D1 so the path to the accounts & sync may not be exactly the same.

OP
K

kimberlyr

Reaction score
I'm not rooted -- too paranoid about completely breaking my phone & voiding the warranty.

DroidFF: I did go into my accounts to be sync'd and although it's there, there's a tiny lock next to it so it doesn't let me do anything except open the darn app. The only option I have is to add new accounts.

Wondering if all phones are like this because of the carriers -- I would seriously consider going to another phone due to the garbage that I'm not interested in having on my phone but I'm stuck with... Amazon MP3, Kindle, NFL, Blockbuster, Skype, the crappy news and weather apps, etc. etc. Besides the battery suck and the fact that I can't uninstall these apps, some won't even let me do a "force close" in settings.

So what do you think? Is this the wireless carrier (Verizon?), the OS company (Google) or the device manufacturer (Motorola) who is behind all of this? It will seriously impact my next purchase.

Grrr. (Thanks for letting me vent!)

lerit50

Reaction score
Freezing it with titanium backup donate is the easiest and safest way to do it.

Comin' atcha from my fission'ed d2g